Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

AGM battery

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
e3steve
h305 Moderator

AGM battery

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:51 am

I just obtained one of these from Motobatteries on eBay; nice, flexible product. Seems to fit OK, totally maintenance-free, good price (shipping was quite expensive for me here) and quick delivery.

I'd imagine it's a 9Ah, judging by the part#.

EDIT: it's 11Ah☺
Last edited by e3steve on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superchicken
honda305.com Member

Post by Superchicken » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 am

I have an agm battery in my xz550, in august it will be 8 years old. The other nice thing is no vent tube and adding water. and also they lose very little charge while sitting, so you don't charge between rides to maintain them

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 am

They've been getting more & more competitively-priced over the past couple of years. Originally designed for the aviation industry for reliability and usability in any attitude; it's still a wet battery but the electrolyte is immobilised within a glassfibre matting.

I fitted mine properly earlier; here's a pic of my underseat today. Sorry for the poor quality -- only had my phone. The Motobatt fits perfectly having used the shallower bottom spacer that's supplied in the box. I didn't bother with the little angle brackets for the terminals; I love the fact that the terminals are recessed and protected from seat misalignment when re-fitting. And there are posts at all four corners, so it will replace a 12N93A or 12N93B.

Delighted!
Attachments
Underseat.jpg

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:53 am

Looks good, Steve. Did you have to change the eyelets on the cables at all?

I think I might just order one of them.

Wilf

flathead
honda305.com Member

Post by flathead » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

Steve,
I've got one of those in my little custom track bike. It's been in there for about 14 months. I've never put it on charge since installing. It seems to have a good charge even after sitting for a few months between riding. I don't have an electric starter on this bike or lights but I am running a stock charging system with a radio shack bridge rectifier. Can't say if the system is working properly or not, it just works. Great little battery, well constructed and configured so it fits many applications with the spacers and terminals on both sides. Next time I need a battery for a S/H I will definately buy this one.

Thanks,
Mark

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 am

Lovely, clean motor!
Wilf wrote:Did you have to change the eyelets on the cables at all?
Nope. Straight swap-out, Wilf. Comes with M6x8 machine screws, which are of adequate length for the starter cable lug and a-n-other. Additional cable lugs/tags could be fitted to the other positive post. I've ensured that my negative (ground) cable is just the one lug, picking up my additional negatives -- taillight, winkers & winker relay -- at the other end; I hate seeing messy, snakes'-wedding terminals.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

Oh, and I just re-read the eBay listing; it's 11Ah, so how cool is that!?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home