Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 condenser wire routing

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

CL77 condenser wire routing

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm

My '67 CL77 has an extra grommet hanging off the condenser wire bundle (insulated 2 wires) going to the points. I know that there is a grommet where the wire enters the points cover and that grommet is there. But up by the condenser, I found another grommet just hanging from the wire. Is there supposed to be a wire support/hanger up under the tank somewhere?

The wire bundle is long enough to be routed between the fins of the head and then up the back side of the head via a vertical groove molded in the fins. Is that the correct route for the condenser wire and by chance does the grommet slip into that goove, say at the topmost fin?

I've check the parts book and see no wire hanger in that area. But I also don't see the mounting bolts and sealing washers for the petcock shown either so I'm not confident that the parts diagrams are the last word on anything.

Thanks,

Rob

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Rob, you hit the nail on the head! Run the wire down between the grooves, and push the grommet into the groove.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 condenser wire routing

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Actually you will have a round one and one with a flat side.
The round one is for the early (very) points cover with the round area where the wire enters the cover and the flat sided one is for the MOST COMMON cover with the flat area where the wire enters the points cover. .......lm

Snakeoil wrote:My '67 CL77 has an extra grommet hanging off the condenser wire bundle (insulated 2 wires) going to the points. I know that there is a grommet where the wire enters the points cover and that grommet is there. But up by the condenser, I found another grommet just hanging from the wire. Is there supposed to be a wire support/hanger up under the tank somewhere?

The wire bundle is long enough to be routed between the fins of the head and then up the back side of the head via a vertical groove molded in the fins. Is that the correct route for the condenser wire and by chance does the grommet slip into that goove, say at the topmost fin?

I've check the parts book and see no wire hanger in that area. But I also don't see the mounting bolts and sealing washers for the petcock shown either so I'm not confident that the parts diagrams are the last word on anything.

Thanks,

Rob

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 pm

That's what I have, LM, a flat side one, that is in place where it belongs in the points cover and the other is a round one, just dangling there. Were OEM replacement parts shipped with both grommets so they would fit either config?

Davo, I need to replace my high temp sleeving first, but plan to run the wires that way. I seem to remember my S90 having the wire run that way as well.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:26 pm

<<<Actually you will have a round one and one with a flat side.>>>
All the Condenser Leads I've seen come with the Round and the Flat side rubber parts.
Over the years I've seen apx. 6 of the EARLY Points Covers with the round Entry Hole and I believe they were for the Early DREAM points cover as there was/is no TYPE Number cast into them. ..................lm

Snakeoil wrote:That's what I have, LM, a flat side one, that is in place where it belongs in the points cover and the other is a round one, just dangling there. Were OEM replacement parts shipped with both grommets so they would fit either config?

Davo, I need to replace my high temp sleeving first, but plan to run the wires that way. I seem to remember my S90 having the wire run that way as well.

Thanks and regards,

Rob

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am

Here is the points cover with the Round Wire Entry.
Very Rare. ..........................lm
<Item number: 290524057193> on eBay.

LOUD MOUSE wrote:<<<Actually you will have a round one and one with a flat side.>>>
All the Condenser Leads I've seen come with the Round and the Flat side rubber parts.
Over the years I've seen apx. 6 of the EARLY Points Covers with the round Entry Hole and I believe they were for the Early DREAM points cover as there was/is no TYPE Number cast into them. ..................lm

Snakeoil wrote:That's what I have, LM, a flat side one, that is in place where it belongs in the points cover and the other is a round one, just dangling there. Were OEM replacement parts shipped with both grommets so they would fit either config?

Thanks and regards,

Rob

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing that, LM. I've never seen that cover on an engine before.
regards,
Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home