Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

tank dents

linmictil2
honda305.com Member

tank dents

Post by linmictil2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:11 am

Morning Folks: I have checked through the forums and have not found an answer to this.
I have a gas tank that has several smaller size dents and gashes. They are located so I can't punch them out from the inside. I want to try and use heat for a repair but am unsure as to the explosion factor. I emptied the gas out and left the cap off the tank for several days now. Will just plain old soap and water suffice in getting rid of the gas fumes?
Is there something else to clean it with? Would it fire/explode without doing anything?
I want to use the least amount of filler repairing this. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks Mike

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:54 am

Washing out with soap and water would work fine. I'd make sure you get it thoroghly dry after washing to prevent rust. I rinsed mine out in the parts washer with mineral spirits solution and blow dry with compressed air, let set overnight open. Make sure theres no liquid left inside. A stud welder is a slick body mans tools for removing those pesky little dents from the outside. Might be a little pricey for a one time use but you may find someone to barrow from? HTH Good Luck. Goo
64' CB77
65' CB160

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Put it up to your car exhaust. The carbon monoxide will nuetralize the fuel vapors.

Davo

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Any time I used heat or welded on a gas tank I just filled it with water until I was finished. Cliff

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned using hot glue and a slide hammer. Do a few searches and use my screen name and you should find something. You basically make a tool for your slide hammer that will grip the hot glue. It works well and no risk of burning a hole in the tank. It's a PITA to get all the glue off, but if you are repainting, solvents will do that for you. If the paint is good and you are just trying to pull smooth depressions and not damage the paint, this is the way to go. Believe it or not, the paint will not pull off the tank.

Small dents and sharp gouges are tough to remove by pulling. An alternative to a stud gun and the process before they were invented, is simply brazing a nail or small bolt to the spot and then pulling with a slide hammer.

But again, if they are very small, you are probably better off just filling and feathering.

regards,
Rob

linmictil2
honda305.com Member

Tank dents

Post by linmictil2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks for your input gentlemen. Much appreciated.... mike

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home