Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cam install - lateral play

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
zads
honda305.com Member

Cam install - lateral play

Post by zads » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm installing my cams and I read that the sprocket should have .002"-.004" side play. After I install my side covers for the cylinder head I find there is no side play. What should I do to correct this?

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Use thicker gaskets under the side covers.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Cam install - lateral play

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:55 am

What do you mean Side Play?
The Cam Unit centers TIGHT to the head.
The End Caps are designed to cause the Cam Unit to be Dead Center on Every Head. ..................lm

zads wrote:I'm installing my cams and I read that the sprocket should have .002"-.004" side play. After I install my side covers for the cylinder head I find there is no side play. What should I do to correct this?

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 am

How did you measure the end play? I mount a dial indicator on the left end of the cam and watch the readings when I lightly tap the center left and right, with a brass drift. There should be a tiny bit movement, to keep the bearings from excessive side thrust, and ensure room for adequate oil film.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 am

HONDA designed that head in such a way that parts are fitted together ahd that all parts much be totally bottomed/in contact with each other part.
The end caps are designed to center the cam unit with a lip on the inside.
There isn't any room for play unless you gring the end caps which can/will allow the sprocket to be off center.
As a fact if any one part of the unit isn't in full contact with another the end caps will not bottom out to the head. ..............lm

mike in idaho wrote:How did you measure the end play? I mount a dial indicator on the left end of the cam and watch the readings when I lightly tap the center left and right, with a brass drift. There should be a tiny bit movement, to keep the bearings from excessive side thrust, and ensure room for adequate oil film.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Cam shaft end clearance.

Post by DJM » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm with LM on this one, the cams, sprockets, bearings, head casting and gaskets are designed so that when assembled there should be NO perceptible end float.
However there are TWELVE components involved all of which would need to be 'dead size' to achieve this level of perfection!

Common sense suggest that even if all components that are 'in spec' there can be minor variations when assembled.

First area of concern would be that After Market gaskets could be thicker, or thinner than O.E.M.

In the past I've used THINNER than standard gaskets to eliminate excess end float but if your cam sprocket / cam assembly is 'too long' the end castings won't seat properly and you'll end up with oil leaks.

Provided the points casting and rev. counter gearbox snug up to the gaskets OK you should be good.

Remember that as the engine warms up the aluminum head will expand MORE than the steel cams and sprocket this increasing the end clearance or, providing some clearance even if there appeared to be 'none' when the engine was assembled cold. [/i]

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Cam shaft end clearance.

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:26 pm

I thank you for the support with my description of how HONDA designed the Head/Cam assembly.
BILL SILVER had a very extensive description of how one would looking from the top of the head center the Cam Unit.
That was a long time back and I had already found that if ALL of the Cam Parts were in total contact to each other and I installed the end parts that the Cam Unit was Actually where HONDA intended it to be.
NO PLAY EITHER WAY!
I can at times understand what/how HONDA was building years back as I had to teach myself what and how the cams installed.
If you need to add a gasket you aqre not correct.
The fact is that if ALL THE CAM PARTS ARE BOTTOMED OUT 'The End Caps Will Center the CAM SPROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ....................lm

DJM wrote:I'm with LM on this one, the cams, sprockets, bearings, head casting and gaskets are designed so that when assembled there should be NO perceptible end float.
However there are TWELVE components involved all of which would need to be 'dead size' to achieve this level of perfection!

Common sense suggest that even if all components that are 'in spec' there can be minor variations when assembled.

First area of concern would be that After Market gaskets could be thicker, or thinner than O.E.M.

In the past I've used THINNER than standard gaskets to eliminate excess end float but if your cam sprocket / cam assembly is 'too long' the end castings won't seat properly and you'll end up with oil leaks.

Provided the points casting and rev. counter gearbox snug up to the gaskets OK you should be good.

Remember that as the engine warms up the aluminum head will expand MORE than the steel cams and sprocket this increasing the end clearance or, providing some clearance even if there appeared to be 'none' when the engine was assembled cold. [/i]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home