Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Removing muffler on CL77 Exaust

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Removing muffler on CL77 Exaust

Post by rideordie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Might be a dumb question but I cannot, for the life of me, get the 'guppy' muffler off of my Exhaust. My bike didn't originally have the exhaust with it and I bought is one off ebay and just want to run the straight pipes since I like the look better. It seems like it should just slide out but no luck. Am I missing something?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

I think the muffler is welded to at least one pipe. PM LOUD MOUSE. He’ll know.

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 Muffler

Post by DJM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm

That's right, the early mufflers were a simple slip on over BOTH pipes with a figure of eight rubber seal.

These were easy to take off and throw away so Honda started to weld them onto (I think) the upper pipe to stop them being removed.

I think that's why you seem to find a lot of CL77 exhausts that have been shortened by a few inches, If you really want to remove the muffler cut the upper pipe through just in front of the muffler box and then cut the lower pipe to match, not pretty though.

Personally I don't much care for the muffler but probably wouldn't cut one off if I had one.

BTW, Although the first generation CL72s, came without the muffler, I think ALL CL77s, even the early 1965 small brake bikes, came with one fitted but a lot seem to have 'lost' them over the years, mine included.

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:33 pm

ahh man that sucks. Yeah I got the bottom one off but the top one must be welded as mentioned. I really dont want to cut them but for my build I'm going for a more aggressive look and plus the straight pipes just sound so damn good. Any work around here besides cutting them?

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 Muffler work round

Post by DJM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:18 am

Yes there is a work round but not easy.

Cut of the muffler as described and then lengthen the shortened pipe by welding a new piece onto it.

You need access to an early pair to check the that you get the correct length and you may need to lengthen the lower pipe too. I'm not sure if the extension pieces are just straight sections of tube or if they need a slight bend in them.

Finally you will need to get the complete exhaust system rechromed.

Not easy but if you find a decent welder it can be done, there are several bikes (my own included) over here in the UK that have been modified this way.

Personally I think it's well worth the effort as I think the CL77 muffler is one of the ugliest things ever to come out of a Honda factory but that's just my opinion of course.

Easier might be to keep looking on E-Bay for an early set of pipes, BTW individual early and late pipes don't interchange, only as a pair.

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am

Man, that unfortunately sounds a bit out of my league.
Okay next question...anybody have a set of pipes they want to sell? I have the heat shields already so just need the exhaust.

As for the exhaust I have, I guess ebay is the way to go. I got a really good deal on these (which is why I bought them to begin with) so I'll definitely profit. I just think it'd be wrong to run this bike with anything other than the straight pipes :(

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Muffler

Post by mike in idaho » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

DJM wrote:
I think that's why you seem to find a lot of CL77 exhausts that have been shortened by a few inches, If you really want to remove the muffler cut the upper pipe through just in front of the muffler box and then cut the lower pipe to match, not pretty though.
On mine, I cut the muffler, just outside of the weld. Then I ground the weld down smooth, leaving both pipes the correct length.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home