Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Tyre suggestions please

peter-angell
honda305.com Member

CB77 Tyre suggestions please

Post by peter-angell » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 am

I am finishing a recently acquired CB77 to put back on the road and need to replace the tyres. Safety and performance are more important than originality. I have looked at the tyre forum posts here and elsewhere and am thinking of the Dunlop K82 or Avon Roadrider but conscious that tyre technology moves on even for classic bikes. Would appreciate people's suggestions please.

Peter

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am

I selected a pair of Michelins.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/moto ... s/city-pro

They aren't stock-like in appearance but they perform well and are available in the old inch sizes and high profile.

DJM
honda305.com Member

CB77 Tyres

Post by DJM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 am

I rebuilt a CB77 about three years ago and fitted a pair of Heidenaus, available in correct 2.75 front and 3.00 rear. They worked well and have a good period look about them.

Roadholding was excellent too.

The back one didn't last very well so I replaced that with a Mitas H-03 which performs equally well and looks just like the old Dunlop K70.

Mitas tyres used to be marketed as Chen Shing and got a bit of stick in the past.

I've used them on my CB77 and also my CL77 and find them very good, sadly, on the rear wheel, they don't last that well either but I think modern tyres (even the Classic designs) are made in a much softer rubber than they were years ago, certainly my experience.

Both Mitas and Heidenau are made in old fashioned 'inch' sizes and are the correct profile, I'm sure you'll be happy with either of them.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Great info, Tim & Deej!

BITD my CB77 handled and gripped brilliantly on good old Dunlop Gold Seal K70s, both front and rear (and the rear was always covered in oil mist, via a crankcase leak!).

I think my fear-factor was non-existent back then; not so nowadays...

peter-angell
honda305.com Member

Post by peter-angell » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you everybody for the info and comments.

Peter

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home