Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Cam Chain Installation

quidger
honda305.com Member

CL77 Cam Chain Installation

Post by quidger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 pm

I am trying to reassemble the top end of my 305cc engine.
I am having trouble getting the cam chain master link lined up with the punch mark on the cam sprocket to coincide the "T" mark on the dynamo rotor.
I think that I need to drop the cam chain down so it comes off the primary drive sprocket so that I can adjust the where the cam chain is lining up but I cannot get the chain to drop down. It's like the chain is stuck on the primary drive sprocket and I am unable to get the chain loosened so I can rearrange the chain to get it to line up.
Any suggestions or ideas if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks
S90 / CB550 / CA 77 Dream 305 / Yamaha RT2 360

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Cam Chain Installation

Post by DJM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:40 pm

It can only be old oil holding the chain in place, it isn't essential that you position the split link centrally on cam sprocket so just get the crank at TDC the the marked tooth at 12 o'clock position and then pop the split link in,

Turn the engine over a couple of times and then back to TDC and make sure the marked tooth is still facing uphill, by now the split link will have moved anyway.

The marked tooth may not be exactly at the top but can only be a tooth out one way or the other which will be obvious to the naked eye.

As a guide, the flat edge of the cam sprocket centre hub needs to be parallel with the top face of the cylinder head, see attached image.

DJM

UK

quidger
honda305.com Member

Post by quidger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Hey DJM,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not see any attachments. Was there supposed to be one?
S90 / CB550 / CA 77 Dream 305 / Yamaha RT2 360

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Cam Chain Installation- attachment

Post by DJM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Yes, there was supposed to be an attached image but I didn't see it either, perhaps adding attachments still isn't quite as easy as I thought!

I've just read the site instructions, clicked on 'status' and I think the file I tried to send was too big,

I'll resize it and try again tomorrow.

Fitting the cam chain is pretty easy really and I was just adding the image for my own benefit as it isn't something I've ever done before.

Just playing!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:08 am

If you will call me or give me your number I'll talk you through this.\830-895-0654. ..............lm

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:01 pm

quidger wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:41 pm
I am trying to reassemble the top end of my 305cc engine.
I am having trouble getting the cam chain master link lined up with the punch mark on the cam sprocket to coincide the "T" mark on the dynamo rotor.
I think that I need to drop the cam chain down so it comes off the primary drive sprocket so that I can adjust the where the cam chain is lining up but I cannot get the chain to drop down. It's like the chain is stuck on the primary drive sprocket and I am unable to get the chain loosened so I can rearrange the chain to get it to line up.
Any suggestions or ideas if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks
Although it is convenient to line up the master link with the mark, this isn't what matters. The mark on the sprocket needs to be on top at TDC as set at the rotor.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home