Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new to the forum and have some questions

battermancj
honda305.com Member

new to the forum and have some questions

Post by battermancj » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:12 pm

I am the new guy and have some questions. I am currently going through my dads 65 305 dream and was wondering about a electronic ignition , pipes and new white wall tires. also if anyone has new rubber bushings for the gas tank thank you

DJM
honda305.com Member

CA77 Dream

Post by DJM » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:39 pm

In my opinion, based on my own experiences with a CB77 and a CL77 don't waste your money on an electronic ignition set up. Try and talk to other owners of the same bike.

Properly set up and in good condition the original Honda points and coil will work just fine and be reliable.

This isn't a high performance engine by any stretch of the imagination and any performance improvement from an uprated ignition system will be marginal at best.

You will find plenty of other things to spend your $$ on!

Just my view, others may disagree, other opinions please.

DJM

UK

OldTwinRuns
honda305.com Member

Re:

Post by OldTwinRuns » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi, I'm a new guy here too. DJM is right. New W.W.s and pipes will ding yer wallet sufficiently for starters. I just got my '65 dream running after six months of small time tinkering part time.
I'm thinking about painting the W.W.s on with elastomeric roof coating after pricing those baby's. No kidding !

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Re: new to the forum and have some questions

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:47 pm

And just my two cents, but learning how to adjust the points and timing is part of the charm. If you get those correct, in my experience the 305 will sound like a V-twin and pull just as strongly! I was impressed with mine, anyway...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home