Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Was running fine....now no spark

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Was running fine....now no spark

Post by Kigsby » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Been a little while since I posted. I come in and read just to keep up with problems others are having in case it happens to me! My 62 Dream was running fine and the next week, it wouldn't start. Sometimes it will just make a spinning noise, sometimes it sounds like it's almost going to start, but doesnt. Another wierd thing is the clutch cable (near the case) gets really hot. I've done the basic checks - gas, battery charged, checked for loose wires, gas getting to carb, checked points and timing and put in new plugs. I'm not getting spark. I think one of the plug wires may be messed up. The wires are pretty thick and stiff but right in the middle, it bends real easy and feels like it maybe broke. I went to buy some new wire, but the stuff they sold me is very flexible and the wire inside is much thinner than what was on there before. So first I want to get the correct wire. Can anyone tell me specifically what to look for? In case new wires don't fix the problem, I'm thinking I need to work my way down the line. The coil - how do you test the coil? (I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I'm not good with electrical stuff!) I know I use an ohm meter to measure the resistance. Do I touch the positive thin wire and the negative thin wire (I think they call them the primary wires?) and then inside the terminals where the plug wires go in (secondary wires?) One probe on one terminal and the other in the other terminal? Do I do this while it's hooked up to the battery? Do I remove the plugs? I know this is basic stuff, but I'd really like to learn to do it myself. Thanks for your help.

styxjr
honda305.com Member

try this

Post by styxjr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm struggling with the same problem on my '66 Dream. Loud Mouse had me check the voltage at the coil. This should get you started at least with that ... make sure your battery is charged and hooked up, turn the key to the on position and then measure across the two points shown in the picture below. You should get a reading close to 12V. HTH.

coil by styxjr, on Flickr

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

K; recheck your points. sometimes you need to forget about the factory specs and open em up a bit, 1--2 thou. that might get you running. the coils don't normally go bad. don't fixate on that. the wires need to be solid core. most times just trimming your old wires back 1/4 inch will do the trick.
good luck
Randy

Cheburashka
honda305.com Member

Post by Cheburashka » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am

I'm interested in the hot clutch cable. I've seen that kind of thing in cars when a ground strap wasn't connected properly and the engine had to ground through heater cables. Is it possible that the engine doesn't have a good ground to the frame? My recollection is that the battery grounds to the frame rather than the engine and the motor would also need a solid ground to the frame.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 am

Yes your plug wires could be broke but more than likely its just the insulation has hardened and then cracked. May or may not be causing your problem. Not sure what kind of coil you have. To put new wires on you may have to splice into the old ones if you have a coil like pictured above or you may have the style that you can just remove the old and put in new. I would also replace the spark plug caps if you do the wires. The wire you need is 7mm copper core. Do not use the graphite fiber core.

The no spark issue could be your points. I would clean them. I use a points file but a piece of fine sandpaper will work in a pinch. After dressing the points run a strip of business card or similar through the closed points until it comes out clean.

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am

I will do both - check the voltage at the coil and check the points again. I don't believe I have an original coil - mine looks much different than the one in your picture.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd3 ... daCoil.jpg

Thank you for the pic with the instructions - exactly what I need!

I did trim back the wires a bit but I'll also double check the points again. Last night while trying to start it I had smoke coming out the side cover. The clutch cable was melted against the ignition switch. I'm hoping maybe that's what the problem was. I'll fix that tonight, check the coil and points and see what happens! Thanks for the help!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home