Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Fuel Petcock Question

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm

I was in error when I stated ALTERED and I thought I sent a message stating so.
Are ya using a new rubber part?. ...........lm
oldjapanesebikes wrote:
mike in idaho wrote:The petcock in the picture hasn't been altered, the raised material, in two places, is plenty to keep the disc located.
That's what was found out after further investigation - it was indeed unaltered.

I've changed the spring that goes between the cover and the handle, ( I had already dressed the face of the handle) and that seems to have made a difference. In truth it does still seem to seep a little bit so I will be taking it apart again to see if there is anything else I can do with it.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 pm

A totally different part for a totally different valve. ...............lm
rzgkane wrote:
oldjapanesebikes wrote:
mike in idaho wrote:The petcock in the picture hasn't been altered, the raised material, in two places, is plenty to keep the disc located.
That's what was found out after further investigation - it was indeed unaltered.

I've changed the spring that goes between the cover and the handle, ( I had already dressed the face of the handle) and that seems to have made a difference. In truth it does still seem to seep a little bit so I will be taking it apart again to see if there is anything else I can do with it.
The four metal tangs (shown in the ebay listing below) that stick upward against the bottom of the fuel tank are what keep pressure downward onto the cork and leaks at bay. Perhaps you could bend them up a little to increase the downward pressure when you tighten the three screws that hold the petcock to the tank? I did that and it seems to have done the trick (as well made the dang selector lever nearly impossible to move!).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Dream-C71 ... cf&vxp=mtr

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:11 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:A totally different part for a totally different valve. ...............lm
rzgkane wrote:
oldjapanesebikes wrote:

The four metal tangs (shown in the ebay listing below) that stick upward against the bottom of the fuel tank are what keep pressure downward onto the cork and leaks at bay. Perhaps you could bend them up a little to increase the downward pressure when you tighten the three screws that hold the petcock to the tank? I did that and it seems to have done the trick (as well made the dang selector lever nearly impossible to move!).

Yeah, you got me in mid-delete mode after I realized I was talking apples to his oranges. I keep thinking everyone owns a 1965 Dream!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Figured that. ..................lm

rzgkane wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:A totally different part for a totally different valve. ...............lm
rzgkane wrote:
oldjapanesebikes wrote:

Yeah, you got me in mid-delete mode after I realized I was talking apples to his oranges. I keep thinking everyone owns a 1965 Dream!

oldjapanesebikes
honda305.com Member

Post by oldjapanesebikes » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are ya using a new rubber part?
Yes I am - at the moment its on 'monitor'. There isn't really anything to these, so it should be able to do a 100% seal. I'll circle back to it once I get some other things sorted out first - still just putting check marks in boxes as I go over the bike front to back and do the re-commissioning.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Post by jwbert » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 pm

You may need to sand the face of the body where the two little screws attach as well, this will maintain the tightness lost if you had to sand a lot off of the handle face. Make sense?

oldjapanesebikes
honda305.com Member

Post by oldjapanesebikes » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

jwbert wrote:Make sense?
Indeed it does - I'll take another look at it later this week.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home