Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Inlet manifold insulator

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks a lot Graham,
The photos really explain a lot, I definitely don't have the correct insulator fitted which might explain the slight hesitancy I get at small throttle openings. I've only just got it on the road and need to adjust to 50 year old brakes and not a lot of power. Surprisingly though, I quite like the handling, yes it lacks damping but I like the light steering and low saddle height. Is it normal for the first to second change to crunch if you rush it? It's ok if I take my time.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: Inlet manifold insulator

Post by e3steve » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:I supose I misunderstood what you needed.
If it's to much money to get the proper part then why not just bolt the carb direct to the head!. .............lm

Geoff Hastings wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Not to ponder what and why.
You need to get the spacer made by HONDA for that DREAM engine and go from there. .............lm
Geoff Hastings wrote:I've just been investigating the general lack of get up and with my CA77 and found the inlet insulator is too small, it does not cover the o-ring properly. I looked at a couple on eBay and they have a semi circular groove, does anyone know the purpose of this groove?
I appreciate the sentiment but the only original ones I've seen are in the states at about £30 including postage so thought a generic fibre insulator of the same dimensions for £5 would be preferable. Also, I do like to know why particular design is used.
Ed... You slay me! :-D

Geoff: you need to do it right (or not at all). Really. Workarounds such as what you've found on your C-using-CB-parts just aren't satisfactory, produce problematic results and will, ultimately and inevitably, lead to heartache.

At least, I think that's what LM is saying; just fewer words with sharp edges...

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:49 am

Geoff Hastings wrote:....Is it normal for the first to second change to crunch if you rush it? It's ok if I take my time.
Absolutely no. Clutch adjustment? When was the oil last changed and the filter spinner cleaned out? Which oil is in there?

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Carb insulator

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 am

Hi Steve, oil is brand new 20/50 and the engine has been stripped and rebuilt but only the starter clutch and cam chain was renewed. Everything else seemed good enough although I did find the previous owner had left out the oil baffle from the head so I had oil pumping out of the breather. The clutch does seem like it needs a bit of a tweek but as I'd only done about 20 miles on the bike I thought I'd run it a while then readjust it. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the correct inlet insulator though, just can't get my head round paying £20 postage from the states.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Carb insulator

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 am

You were offered one from your side of the Atlantic. ...............lm

Geoff Hastings wrote:Hi Steve, oil is brand new 20/50 and the engine has been stripped and rebuilt but only the starter clutch and cam chain was renewed. Everything else seemed good enough although I did find the previous owner had left out the oil baffle from the head so I had oil pumping out of the breather. The clutch does seem like it needs a bit of a tweek but as I'd only done about 20 miles on the bike I thought I'd run it a while then readjust it. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the correct inlet insulator though, just can't get my head round paying £20 postage from the states.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:You were offered one from your side of the Atlantic. ...............lm

Geoff Hastings wrote:Hi Steve, oil is brand new 20/50 and the engine has been stripped and rebuilt but only the starter clutch and cam chain was renewed. Everything else seemed good enough although I did find the previous owner had left out the oil baffle from the head so I had oil pumping out of the breather. The clutch does seem like it needs a bit of a tweek but as I'd only done about 20 miles on the bike I thought I'd run it a while then readjust it. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the correct inlet insulator though, just can't get my head round paying £20 postage from the states.
Quite right loud mouse but so far I've not had a reply or confirmation that it is indeed the correct item.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Some things longer than others on this forum.
I responded to this. ......................lm
( Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the correct inlet insulator though, just can't get my head round paying £20 postage from the states.)

Geoff Hastings wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:You were offered one from your side of the Atlantic. ...............lm

Quite right loud mouse but so far I've not had a reply or confirmation that it is indeed the correct item.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home