Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
jkjoller
honda305.com Member

I'm about to take a hammer to my carb!

Post by jkjoller » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm

1962 Dream 305
Any help is appreciated.

Rebuilt the carb with new carb kit
- new float bowl gasket, new needle, new jets, etc.
- float does not have a hole in it (tested it and it floats in a can of gas) , and is not bent or dragging on the sides. Moves up and down freely
- Set float height to factory specs of 26.5 mm.
- Ive attached and removed it numerous times to check everything.
When I turn on the petcock and after a few minutes or so, gas starts to leak out between the float bowl cover and bottom of the carb. There are no holes in the float bowl and the gasket is seated correctly.
It looks like the float is not stopping the flow of gas. But I've checked it over and over and it looks to be correct.

What am I missing?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: I'm about to take a hammer to my carb!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm

2 questions.
Did you use a Keyster Kit?
Do you have the old parts?. ...........lm

jkjoller wrote:1962 Dream 305
Any help is appreciated.

Rebuilt the carb with new carb kit
- new float bowl gasket, new needle, new jets, etc.
- float does not have a hole in it (tested it and it floats in a can of gas) , and is not bent or dragging on the sides. Moves up and down freely
- Set float height to factory specs of 26.5 mm.
- Ive attached and removed it numerous times to check everything.
When I turn on the petcock and after a few minutes or so, gas starts to leak out between the float bowl cover and bottom of the carb. There are no holes in the float bowl and the gasket is seated correctly.
It looks like the float is not stopping the flow of gas. But I've checked it over and over and it looks to be correct.

What am I missing?

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:49 am

I'm pretty sure a hammer won't help. I'd try dropping the float bowl off and manually lift the float to see if the flow stops and also note at what point the flow stops. If I ever have a problem with the fuel needle not sealing I use a bit of metal polish on the needle tip and lightly lap the needle to the seat. Also check there is no crap in the fuel, no matter how many times you clean the carb if rust or paint is getting to the carb the needle will not sit on its seat.

jkjoller
honda305.com Member

Post by jkjoller » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:36 pm

LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

yes still have the old parts.

Geoff Hastings: will try your suggestion.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Any chance you can call me at 830-895-0654?. .............lm

jkjoller wrote:LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:35 pm

I've offered to help if you call.
If you don't want to call OK with me.
If you Just Read that message the offer is still there. .................lm
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Any chance you can call me at 830-895-0654?. .............lm

jkjoller wrote:LoudMouse: Not sure if its a "Keyster Kit". Is that a brand? The kit I bought was from 2FastMoto off eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/311751459205). this kit does not come with the correct gasket though. Had to buy that separately.

gbc
honda305.com Member

Any follow up

Post by gbc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:18 am

I have the same issue on my 67 CL. Just installed a new EI system and the bike is running great expect the right carb is leaking around the bowl. I have changed gaskets, floats, needle valve and seat, bowls, and even tried an extra carb to no avail. Unfortunately I am out of town this weekend and probably a good thing to walk away from it for a while. My kits were from two different sources, Fleabay and Classic Honda Restoration. I am letting the gaskets dry in the sun and will start fresh again next week, meanwhile any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home