Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Overflow Tube to Carb Body Interference

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Overflow Tube to Carb Body Interference

Post by gbyoung2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Had occasion to pull the carbs today to replace the float valves due to fuel coming out of the over flows. The bike is a recent acquisition that needed the fuel system cleaned, and shame of me for not examining the condition of the float valves before putting the carbs back together, and on (they were off when I got it). I installed new bowl gaskets that the PO had furnished and never gave it much thought after that. First opportunity to run the bike was a few days ago, and that’s when I noticed fuel coming out of the overflows.

Poop!

New float valves came in today so pulled off one of the carbs in prep to replacing the valves. Decided to recheck the float setting before I did just to make sure I hadn’t screwed that up earlier. The Manual says 26.5mm off the carb body, so I pulled the bowl gasket so I could do that. Yes, I’m aware that there is some controversy whether that measurement should be done with, or without the gasket. I’m with the no gasket method since (IMHO) there can be some inconsistency in gasket thickness depending where you get them. Regardless, my previous setting was spot on so I was getting ready to install the first new valve and go from there.

Then I noticed this – before replacing the valve, for whatever reason, I decided to put the bowl into place since fitting the bowls to these carbs has the edge of the bowls being a tight fit up in the periphery of the carb bodies. That’s when I noticed that the bowl-to-carb body mating surfaces wouldn’t sit flush with once another; the bowl wants to rock back and forth slightly. It appears that the overflow tube that sits up in the bowl is hitting the lower inside surface of the carb body. I reinstalled the gasket and the bowl now appears to be sitting flush with the gasket surface.

I never had to delve into the carbs on my old CL back in the late 60’s, so I never noticed anything like this. Is this normal???

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home