Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Fuel Petcock Question

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
oldjapanesebikes
honda305.com Member

Fuel Petcock Question

Post by oldjapanesebikes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Just curious - I have a box full of petcocks from other bikes I work on, and so a question came to mind while tracking a persistent small fuel drip I have off my CL77. On all the other ones I have (which are Suzuki by the way) there are raised shoulders on all of the fuel ports that the gasket seal fits over and so helping to locate the gasket properly. This petcock only has one ridge corresponding to the reserve position. Looking at the old gasket, I can see it has 'slid' or deformed as the run and supply ports at the bottom and right side don't have the ridges to locate the gasket. So my question then is has this petcock been modified, or is this just the way they were made ?

Thanks !

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Fuel Petcock Question

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Modified. .......lm

oldjapanesebikes wrote:Just curious - I have a box full of petcocks from other bikes I work on, and so a question came to mind while tracking a persistent small fuel drip I have off my CL77. On all the other ones I have (which are Suzuki by the way) there are raised shoulders on all of the fuel ports that the gasket seal fits over and so helping to locate the gasket properly. This petcock only has one ridge corresponding to the reserve position. Looking at the old gasket, I can see it has 'slid' or deformed as the run and supply ports at the bottom and right side don't have the ridges to locate the gasket. So my question then is has this petcock been modified, or is this just the way they were made ?

Thanks !

oldjapanesebikes
honda305.com Member

Post by oldjapanesebikes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks - that's pretty much what I expected. Oh well.

They don't seem to be that common, so I suppose I'll take a run at repairing it first - possibly some short sections of brass tube and some JBWeld.

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I am confused. I am swapping a leaky petcock today and BOTH old and new do not have any lip around two of the four ports.

Are you saying this is non-stock?

Why would someone modify them?

And should I be concerned?

I don't want to put this whole thing back together and then have to take it apart again to change the petcock body. I hate the mess.

Thanks!

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:36 pm

The petcock in the picture hasn't been altered, the raised material, in two places, is plenty to keep the disc located. A smooth flat surface on the back of the handle is necessary for the petcock to work without leaks. Re-surface it with a sheet of wet/dry 1500 grit sandpaper on a piece of plate glass.

Jlovvorn
honda305.com Member

Post by Jlovvorn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks! Now I know why the old one was leaking, and I am an idiot for taking the whole assembly off the tank. Could have just fixed the handle.

oldjapanesebikes
honda305.com Member

Post by oldjapanesebikes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:36 pm

mike in idaho wrote:The petcock in the picture hasn't been altered, the raised material, in two places, is plenty to keep the disc located.
That's what was found out after further investigation - it was indeed unaltered.

I've changed the spring that goes between the cover and the handle, ( I had already dressed the face of the handle) and that seems to have made a difference. In truth it does still seem to seep a little bit so I will be taking it apart again to see if there is anything else I can do with it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home