Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 Carbs in a 175

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

305 Carbs in a 175

Post by Michael Stoic » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:40 pm

[forwarded from honda305.com email]<br /><br />I have a set of 305 carbs that I'm using on a vintage 175 race bike that I'm running in the AHRMA races. I took the bike down to the dyno to get these 305 carbs dialed in. We got the main and the needles set great no problem the bike is making 21 hp on the main and running clean. But I can not get the bike to idle co meter says way too ric: 35 pilot jets.<br /><br />The idle mixture screw is on the engine side of the carb. Can you tell me which way to turn the screw to lean the mixture? I thought if the screw is on the engine side the mixture is richer if you turn the screw out but the bike seams to run better with the screw turned out which seams to tell me the opposite is true. As I say it helps, but it does not seam to cure the problem no matter how I adjust the IMS seams also that I'm getting air from some where as the idle wants to run away from me at times? Any where air can enter that I'm missing? Well any help would be great.<br /><br />On the track it goes like hell. I'm just trying to make it a little more manageable in the pits and at the starting line. Note the original 175 carbs had 35 stamped on the pilots, but it is a different type of jet. Reading I little on your site. Looks like I may have the floats set to turn off the gas flow to soon as I know they are set at, at least 25 mm. I have looked for smaller pilots have not found any. I may solder them up and use a wire bit to drill them smaller. Or I was thinking to drill the air vent holes in the pilot jets larger maybe. That way I would have the same effect as adding more air to the mix at idle rather than trying to make the hole smaller in the jet for the fuel.<br /><br />As you can see I'm out of Ideas. Mikunis are the next step but I really would like to stay with the vintage carbs.<br /><br />Tim Kinsey Thanks<br />TKinsey@meridianautosystems.com

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home