Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

65 CB77 rear fork reassembly

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

65 CB77 rear fork reassembly

Post by ZillahBill » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:23 pm

Does the rear fork pivot washer go inboard or outboard of the rear fork dust seal cap? The parts manual is a little confusing about this. Also does the rear fork pivot bolt with the fixed nut go on left or right side of bike? I am starting to put it back together so I will probably have lots of dumb questions. Thanks in advance.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: 65 CB77 rear fork reassembly

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 am

These washers go as far to the outside as possible. That is, on the outsides of the aluminum foot peg mounting brackets. Like most washers they go right under the bolt head and the nut.

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:55 am

Thank you. I see it now. I went back and looked for a reference pic. Thought I didn't take one of this detail but I had one close, Got a few more pieces to polish before I proceed. Ordered new grease fittings. Another question: What are the two pieces 52141-268-000 center collar? I don't seem to have these two pieces. I see they are available on ebay. Ai tells me they are for balancing load. I haven't thrown any money at this bike today so I am looking for an excuse to order something.
Attachments
Pivot Bolt Assembly 1.jpg

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:05 am

ZillahBill wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:55 am
Thank you. I see it now. I went back and looked for a reference pic. Thought I didn't take one of this detail but I had one close, Got a few more pieces to polish before I proceed. Ordered new grease fittings. Another question: What are the two pieces 52141-268-000 center collar? I don't seem to have these two pieces. I see they are available on ebay. Ai tells me they are for balancing load. I haven't thrown any money at this bike today so I am looking for an excuse to order something.
They are the bushings that take the forces generated by the swingarm and are necessary. Look carefully. It seems a bit strange that one would be missing.

BTW, At the current state of development the GPTx systems are unreliable, especially when it comes to information that may be hard to find. They will just make something up and present it as confidently as they do for correct information.
Last edited by Tim Allman on Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:25 am

Tim Allman wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:05 am

BTW, At the current state of development the GPTx systems are unreliable, especially when it comes to information that may be hard to find. They will just make something up and present it as confidently as it does for correct information.
Tim is right on! I've also seen it happen, even with casual research.

Back to the topic...

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:27 pm

Thanks for your feedback. On reflection I find I have overinterpreted the parts manual (and went down an Ai rabbit hole) and the bushings are still in place. I agree with you that Ai is sometimes way wrong but is cool to have instant access to a know it all.
Attachments
Swingarm Bearings.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home