Admirers

Neutral Switch and Shift Drum

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Husker45
honda305.com Member

Neutral Switch and Shift Drum

Post by Husker45 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:03 pm

Hello all,

I rebuilt the engine in my CB77 from boxes of parts several years ago. I am finishing up the build and went to install the neutral switch. When the bike is in neutral the slot in the end of the shift drum does not align with the pin position for the neutral switch that enables the light to turn on. I can remove the neutral switch and turn the shaft by hand and if will light up the neutral light, but its about 100 degrees in the wrong position compared to the slot in the shift drum.

Now I am in panic mode and worried I assembled the transmission wrong. While the bike isn't running yet, I am able to shift between 1, neutral and second. Is it possible I installed the shift drum wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Husker

P.S. In neutral the slot is about 190 degrees measured clockwise from 0 degrees (straight up). Sorry but I don't know how to post pictures to this forum.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Re: Neutral Switch and Shift Drum

Post by cknight » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:08 am

The slot in the shift drum should be pointing jsut about straight up when in neutral. You will have to split the cases and regroup, as your shift forks are now incorrectly indexed.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home