Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch Plates

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
jcensky
honda305.com Member

Clutch Plates

Post by jcensky » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:47 am

I just took my 66 CL77 out of storage...30 years! I now have the engine running great. When I took the clutch apart last night I noticed that the first two discs to come off were friction discs wth no steel plate between them. I have six friction discs ( steel with pads), and only four steel plates (not including the thick one that goes on first). I must be missing a steel disc right? Also is this the reason that the clutch lever always pulled so hard?<br />Thanks, for everything, I love this forum!<br /><br />John Censky<br />Sun Prairie,WI<br /><br />

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch Plates

Post by kustommusic » Sun May 15, 2005 6:35 pm

JC, Did you ever get an answer to your clutch question? I am experiencing problems trying to make my clutch work after installing new friction discs. It wont engage and I dont know why. Steve Greer

jcensky
honda305.com Member

Post by jcensky » Sun May 15, 2005 7:54 pm

kustommusic wrote:<br />JC, Did you ever get an answer to your clutch question? I am experiencing problems trying to make my clutch work after installing new friction discs. It wont engage and I dont know why. Steve Greer<br />
<br /><br />Steve, I'm waiting for some more parts before I can proceed, but I did order and install the missing plate. I am waiting for the clutch lifter rod because mine was worn and a little bent which should explain the very stiff clutch. I'll know more later this week. Thanks for the reply<br /><br />JOHN

GaryG
honda305.com Member

Post by GaryG » Sat May 28, 2005 1:02 pm

I too had a problem with the clutch handle bein VERY hard to pull, especially after the engine warmed up good. Did either of you get you problem solved?<br /><br />Any tips on why the clutch lever would get worse after warm-up would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Gary<br />Jolin, Mo.

jcensky
honda305.com Member

Post by jcensky » Sun May 29, 2005 3:45 pm

When I further investigated my clutch problem, I found that my clutch lifter rod was actually bent alittle bit. When the new one came, it was almost one quarter inch longer than the one I took out. After installation and adjustment, I now have a nicely working clutch, the engine is strong, and the first ride since 1974, took me right back to high school. I'm a happy camper....now onto the cosmetics......<br /><br />JOHN

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun May 29, 2005 7:44 pm

Gary, I finally got my problems worked out. (thanks to Emo) I didn't have a problem with a hard pull,mine would just engage all at once.<br /> Have you checked the cable and housing for rust or kinks(not the 60's band) ? That is the first place to look. Also was informed that the stock clutch release springs have a little white paint on the tops of them. You can see it when you remove the bolts from the pressure plate. If that paint isn't there you might have had some heavy duty type of spring installed at some time. Or jcensky's last post was a good thing to look at also. Good luck and let us all know what you find,Steve Greer

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home