Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 clutch slipping in 2nd gear

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
eman
honda305.com Member

305 clutch slipping in 2nd gear

Post by eman » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:27 pm

I have a 66 305 Dream. It only slips in 2nd gear. I have put 5 new clutch friction plates in and it still slips. It slips for about a a second when your on the gas and then catches. The previous owner(s) were into the motor so all I did was reassemble the clutch the way it came out. How many steel plates are there and what is the assembly order on the clutch basket? Any help would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />E-Man

ray
honda305.com Member

Re: 305 clutch slipping in 2nd gear

Post by ray » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:07 am

Your problem is not the clutch!!!, if it was, the problem would be in ALL gears. These trannies are notorious for stripping teeth off 2nd gear, and I suspect yours has too and that is the &quot;slipping&quot; that you are getting. they also tend to wear the &quot;dog teeth&quot; on the gears which causes them to jump out of gear giving a &quot;slipping&quot; symptom. I have had much success by undercutting the dog teeth. This process is hard to explain here but talk to a mechanic and he'll know what I'm talking about.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home