Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

sticky clutch

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: sticky clutch

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:47 am

DId you lookat the pressure plate for the 4 holes? How bout you build a clutch with the thick first plate, and fiber/metal disc plus wire wheel the steel disc and as you install the wires make sure the disc will move a little. That is if you haven't done that yet. ........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Re: sticky clutch

Post by prima5star » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Don't know how much this applies but... I helped a friend with a sticky Norton clutch. The problem he had was the discs wearing little valleys (in the direction of rotation) into the basket inners and outers so when you pulled in the clutch lever not only did the clutch have to open against the springs, it had to slide out of the little valley it rode in, so the force vector was not perpendicular to clutch travel it was out and against the direction of rotation. This should only be a problem in the Honda inner since you have steel plates riding on an alloy center. So check if the inner basket grooves that the steel plates slide in and out on are smooth.<br /><br />Also, my own adjustment method for all clutches... On my recent Superhawk clutch reassembly I adjusted the big adjuster on the kickstart side so the clutch slipped a bit then test drove and adjusted back slightly until the clutch didn't slip. This method gives maximum clutch open without slip. If it still creeps or is hard to shift, something else it at fault. Note: You have to drive pretty hard to make sure it isn't going to slip.<br /><br />And... if your oil is too thick it will cause the clutch to seem sticky since the vicous drag on the plates will be greater. This is essentially how a fluid torque converter works.<br /><br />Hope some of this helps. <br /><br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home