Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

sticky clutch

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

sticky clutch

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:09 am

My clutch sticks on first cold start up and sometimes after sitting when warm. This causes my shifter not to move from first to second. This occurred on another engine I had on bike and I thought tranny was bad so I put this engine on after cleaning the clutch but had same problem. Bike shifts fine when running. I think I have it adjusted correctly. It does not slip and it stalls when holding foot break on when trying to pull out. Any ideas?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: sticky clutch

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:19 am

Have you adjusted it to the Honda spec? Did you leave the wires in the chutch hub?. ......LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:47 am

I once had a slipping/sticky clutch oxymoronic situation and it turned out the clip which holds the inner basket was not in correctly and the whole basket would sometimes just move over.<br /><br />Another Honda clutch gave me heck because the mechanism which transfers the cable actuation to the rod was not well lubed.<br /><br />Good luck, I'd start from the inside and take LM's advice, setting everything up to spec.<br /><br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:31 pm

Wires are still in clutch hub, but from what I here they really don't help or hurt anything. I don'y have any HONDA spec's just adjusted it how some people on the site have told me to do. I have about an 1/8&quot; play at lever and adjuster on side case is at about 1:00 and have new cable. For some reason I just think the plates are just sticking together after sitting overnight. It shifts fine after it warms up. I can run all over the place with it with no problem.Could it be the metal plates are not true and or the fiber clutch plates?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:21 pm

Several things can cause the clutch to stick at times There are at least 3 different thickness of the cork dics and a couple of different with the steel ones. The first steel should be twice as thick as the others. Any chance your clutch is like the one I just took apart and has one extra cork disc against another? % steel and 5 disc is correct. .......LM<br />
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:47 am

Mouse I have the correct #of disks. I did not know there was different thickness's of the steel. I still have my other engine apart and will mic. them and see if there is a difference. They all looked the same.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:44 am

The thick one (first on) is easy to tell and the others are also.<br />If none of them have a slot at every 90 degrees they are the same and same for the ones with the slot. I was wondering about the routing of the cable. Does it go to the engine from the bars in a nice smooth arc or is there a loop because it is a little to long?. .................LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home