Admirers

Kick starter kick-back

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
cdf7640
honda305.com Member

Kick starter kick-back

Post by cdf7640 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:39 am

Hey guys,

I've got a '65 CB77 Superhawk where, when I downshift into 2nd or 1st gear - especially when the engine is hot, the kickstarter will violently spring out with an audible "click" and hit my in the leg. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what would be the best explanation as to why this happening.

Thanks!!

Chris

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Kick starter kick-back

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:46 am

If your right side cover is installed correctly so the spring is indexed as it should be.
My suspicion is you have a warn kick starter shaft.where the 12 rollers are installed. .....lm
cdf7640 wrote:Hey guys,

I've got a '65 CB77 Superhawk where, when I downshift into 2nd or 1st gear - especially when the engine is hot, the kickstarter will violently spring out with an audible "click" and hit my in the leg. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what would be the best explanation as to why this happening.

Thanks!!

Chris

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:10 am

I had the same problem 2 years ago.

After a few highway miles, I got off the highway and stopped for a traffic light, then all of a sudden I saw the kickstarter rocking forward and then offcourse came back.

The motor was running fine, so when the light turned green I drove off for a place to look what the trouble was...
Nothing to see, motor still running nicely. So then I turned off the engine to look/feel better... Well... nothing to feel and nothing to see... So, 'whatever' I thought, so turned on the ignition to start the bike... grabbed the kickstarten, and *kick* .... what the... ??

So, now my kickstarter doesn't engage anymore, something probably snapped off (the little steel grab/engage thingy inside the engine) , it's probably lying in the engine somewhere. Haven't made time too bother..

Did 1000miles with no problem since that happend, but i wouldn't advise to keep driving it..

Best thing to do is get the engine out, and fix what's worn. I just got lucky that the broken off steel pawl didn't trashed the engine.
( it's probably lying quiet against the oil filter screen now, where it shall not do harm )
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home