Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cam chain

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
SMBH
honda305.com Member

Cam chain

Post by SMBH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:51 pm

Has any one used this chain for the cam chain on a CB72/CB77 ?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/karting/k ... kart-chain

Just wondering as it is 219 chain and would it be ok ?.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Post by GORDON BROWN » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:22 am

Hello SMBH

I think the answer here might be yes, assuming it is available in a suitable length but why would you want to use it ( other than price ) ? It states that it is Kart drive chain, now granted if there is nothing else or it has some advantage then fine, I have been guilty of using plenty of non standard parts in engines inc. CB72/77's myself but they have mainly been for racing and even then its not always turned out to be a good idea.
The main thing is good quality cam chain, in OE 219T spec. and above is available from DID and other makers so its probably as well to use the correct thing. I think most people now use rivet links, I am sure the Honda one for the CB450 can be used ( hopefully someone else on the site can verify this ?)
Some of the so called Heavy Duty chains are just heavy and may cause other problems.

On a slightly different subject, have you checked the new primary chain yet, as it would be good if something has been found that works and is readily available for STD sprockets.

Regards

Gordon

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm

I purchased a new primary chain from http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/ have not done many miles but looks like it is holding up ok, PHIL-UK has told me he has about 1,000 miles on one with no problems.

with regarding the cam chain do I have to buy a tool to rivet the chain I would prefer a split link, a slit link was ok for Honda in all of my 50 odd years of m/c I have never ever had any problems with a slit link on a drive chain.

All the 219 cam chains I can find have riveted links I want one with a spit link, I do not like mixing different makes of links and chains. So if any one out there knows were in the UK I can purchase a 219/94L cam chain.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Cam chain etc.

Post by GORDON BROWN » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Hello SMBH

That sounds like good news regarding the primary chains, even if they wear more quickly ? at least you can replace them.
Regarding the cam chains, like you I have had no problems with split links on drive chains ( though I am touching wood / crossing my fingers as I say this and also I have a bit less than 50 years on bikes ) I also don't think there is any history of problems with the CB72/77 cam chain ones however the good cam chains are fairly easy to rivet without special tools and once the engine is built you cant check them like a drive chain.

Regards

Gordon
SAFOJ

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Isn't the CB250/350 K series the same chain?
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Most bikes of that era used a 219 chain but they were not all created equal. Some chains are more equal than others.

years ago I was searching for a cam chain link to work in the slab sided heavy duty cam chains I was using and ordered a bunch of different part numbers from my local dealer and I was surprised that there were different pin diameters and length.

In the end I used to use Yamaha SR500 links on a Camilia (sp?) slab sided chain. That way I could replace the link each time I popped the head off my race motor. You don't need a super duty chain on a street motor but the chain off a little piggy Honda 50 may not be created equal enough.

With apologies to Orwell's Animal Farm.

Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Post by Phil-UK » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Sprockets Unlimited will also do branded cam chain with a split link; off the top of my head can't remember which company it was. As Teazer says different companies produce 219 chain but with their own pin diameters, side plate thicknesses etc., so best to get chain and split link ( + spare ? ) together.
They also do the oil filter and starter chains as well.

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home