Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

shift drum seting plate part #24455-268-000 page 20

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
joeweir1
honda305.com Member

shift drum seting plate part #24455-268-000 page 20

Post by joeweir1 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Curious if wear in the shift drum setting plate can cause shifting issues at all?All the ones I have seen on motors I tore down had wear on them to sum degree.I may tear into my motor again this year to see why shifter locks up when trying to get into 2nd gear from 1st after a stop.Not sure if the dogs are catching each other somehow since it is completely locked and some effort to get it free. Looked into this before and could never figure it out.Can't simulate it at home.Was wondering if the low gear bushing could cause an issue.I have a new one in a box somewhere to install.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: shift drum seting plate part #24455-268-000 page 20

Post by G-Man » Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 am

These gearboxes seem to be sensitive to clearances so it is best to eliminate any sources of slop/clearance at all places. Look carefully at the dogs and look for wearr or damage. A new bushing should help.

G
joeweir1 wrote:Curious if wear in the shift drum setting plate can cause shifting issues at all?All the ones I have seen on motors I tore down had wear on them to sum degree.I may tear into my motor again this year to see why shifter locks up when trying to get into 2nd gear from 1st after a stop.Not sure if the dogs are catching each other somehow since it is completely locked and some effort to get it free. Looked into this before and could never figure it out.Can't simulate it at home.Was wondering if the low gear bushing could cause an issue.I have a new one in a box somewhere to install.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks. What about the back side of shift drum from where it wears against the plate. ?Guess I need to source a new plate if I want to eliminate the wear there.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 24, 2019 4:28 pm

The first to second problem as several places.
The Sift drum at the shoplifter end has a slot with a HIGH POINT in the MIDDLE.
If the point wears down or the ROLLER wears this will cause a lack of mobility to allow the fork to move through.
The FORK ENDS also ware.. ......................lm
joeweir1 wrote:Thanks. What about the back side of shift drum from where it wears against the plate. ?Guess I need to source a new plate if I want to eliminate the wear there.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:01 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The first to second problem as several places.
The Sift drum at the shoplifter end has a slot with a HIGH POINT in the MIDDLE.
If the point wears down or the ROLLER wears this will cause a lack of mobility to allow the fork to move through.
The FORK ENDS also ware.. ......................lm
joeweir1 wrote:Thanks. What about the back side of shift drum from where it wears against the plate. ?Guess I need to source a new plate if I want to eliminate the wear there.

I had taken the tranny apart before and checked the rollers and point on the drum and the rollers seemed good and without a new shift drum to compare it to the high point seemed ok also.As far as forks there is not much that I am aware of other than finding better or NOS ones.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: shift drum seting plate part #24455-268-000 page 20

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 pm

It can if installed wrong side up. ...................lm

joeweir1 wrote:Curious if wear in the shift drum setting plate can cause shifting issues at all?All the ones I have seen on motors I tore down had wear on them to sum degree.I may tear into my motor again this year to see why shifter locks up when trying to get into 2nd gear from 1st after a stop.Not sure if the dogs are catching each other somehow since it is completely locked and some effort to get it free. Looked into this before and could never figure it out.Can't simulate it at home.Was wondering if the low gear bushing could cause an issue.I have a new one in a box somewhere to install.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home