Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 Clutch Rebuild and History

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:23 am

Strange as it may seem I drink TOM MOORE whiskey.
Nothing at all to do with my last name being MOORE I just like the flavor.
I'll take your offer but you are required to bring it to TEXAS and we will enjoy it together.
Thanks for the offer but I help members where I can as I've learned the hard way at times and want to share what I know with others where a Thank You is plenty.
Now ya can ride!. ...........lm

garncarz wrote:
garncarz wrote:
garncarz wrote:I finally got all the parts: A Plate, two wire springs and five 020 aluminum core friction plates and got it back together.
I took the old dream out for a 20-mile test ride yesterday. I am getting a lot of clutch slip when I get into the torque curve, eg. going up hills or more than medium throttle in 2nd gear or above.

I am using Valvoline 4-stroke 10W40 motorcycle oil (it says meets JASO MA spec). Also, I put the clutch together dry. I read later that the fiction disks should be oiled prior to assembly?

Any thoughts or suggestions on a fix? Thanks in advance.

Ed: Just went for a ride. Nice crisp shifts, good pull from a full stop. I guess measuring the right thing makes all the difference. What kind of booze do you drink? I owe you. Many thanks!!!

malcolmgb
honda305.com Member

Post by malcolmgb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:08 pm

garncarz wrote:
malcolmgb wrote:Hi garncarz can I ask where you got your "wire springs" from, I am missing 2.
Call you local Honda (motorcycle) dealer and have them look up part number 22431-259-000 in their dealer parts locator. If available, they can give the the phone number of the dealer with stock.
Thanks I ordered them from David Silver last week, I was surprised to see he listed them now I understand why.
1977 CB400F
1973 CL175
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:06 pm

garncarz wrote:
garncarz wrote:
garncarz wrote:I finally got all the parts: A Plate, two wire springs and five 020 aluminum core friction plates and got it back together.
I took the old dream out for a 20-mile test ride yesterday. I am getting a lot of clutch slip when I get into the torque curve, eg. going up hills or more than medium throttle in 2nd gear or above.

I am using Valvoline 4-stroke 10W40 motorcycle oil (it says meets JASO MA spec). Also, I put the clutch together dry. I read later that the fiction disks should be oiled prior to assembly?

Any thoughts or suggestions on a fix? Thanks in advance.

Ed: Just went for a ride. Nice crisp shifts, good pull from a full stop. I guess measuring the right thing makes all the difference. What kind of booze do you drink? I owe you. Many thanks!!!
She started slipping again last week. So I changed the oil again (filthy after 50 miles, I guess its going to take a few flushes untill 50 years worth of sludge gets eradicated). This time I went to straight SAE30. Readjusted the clutch per our discussion. Good for 30 mile, now much less slip but still some on heavy accelleration. Maybe I should go to the white springs?

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Anyone have the honda part number for the "white" springs?

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 am

garncarz wrote:Anyone have the honda part number for the "white" springs?
Got 'em. Thanks Ed.

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 am

This is a great thread but one thing that would help me is to understand what to aim for with a total stack width on the positioning of the outer most lip of the clutch pressure plate. With the mixture of 5 , 6 and even 4 disk clutch packs shown in various manuals it gets confusing.
I imagine if someone built up a 6 stack with 5 stacker discs the pressure of the springs would be lacking and it would slip?

I have looked through the manuals for a guide haven't found anything suitable. Given these bikes have been around along time and possibly been worked on by many the clutch variations of parts could be quite diverse.

I have bundles of pressure and clutch plates and some are obviously mismatched but would like to be able to construct something largely acceptable

regards

Greg

fab60
honda305.com Member

Post by fab60 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Hey Garncarz, what is the part number for the Honda white springs you got??

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home