Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

305 Clutch Rebuild and History

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:13 pm

If the pressure plate has 4 1/8in holes near the center and a raised circle in the middle and the center case has a raised circle to match and the steel plates have relief cutouts in the center and the friction plates are aluminum with black contact area you have a Cush. ....lm
garncarz wrote:My 66 CA78's clutch has a 5 friction plate clutch which I believe is a cush. The way it was assembled was:

Clutch center
A plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
Clutch cover

So, a few questions: (1) When I get them, where should the ring spring(s) go? (2) I have a cracked friction disc and am going to replace them, should I replace the B Plates also? (3) Should the clutch springs be replaced as a mater of course?

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:07 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:If the pressure plate has 4 1/8in holes near the center and a raised circle in the middle and the center case has a raised circle to match and the steel plates have relief cutouts in the center and the friction plates are aluminum with black contact area you have a Cush. ....lm
garncarz wrote:My 66 CA78's clutch has a 5 friction plate clutch which I believe is a cush. The way it was assembled was:

Clutch center
A plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
B plate
Friction disk
Clutch cover

So, a few questions: (1) When I get them, where should the ring spring(s) go? (2) I have a cracked friction disc and am going to replace them, should I replace the B Plates also? (3) Should the clutch springs be replaced as a mater of course?

Everything except the aluminum friction plates. They are composite/bakelite.

Also, what I said above was an A Plate is actually a fifth B Plate.

So, where do the wire spring rings go?

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I have have what appears to be a Cush. The springs are painted blue at the ends and are longer than the minimum length specified in the service manual, so I will forgo replacing them. There are two slots for wires, which are missing and 5 b-plates (no a-plate). My plan is to procure an a-plate, 2 wires and 5 "020" aluminum core friction discs for the rebuild. Correct?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

The parts you mention are not CUSH.
The springs are the early issue which were replaced "WHITE END" and to measure them with the numbers you find is for the early ones as HONDA didn't give measurements after the CUSH was issued.
020 plates are what you need and you may want to look at the area for the A plate (is twice as thick +- as the B plate) and see if the wire will be able to be installed after the A plate is installed. ...lm
garncarz wrote:I have have what appears to be a Cush. The springs are painted blue at the ends and are longer than the minimum length specified in the service manual, so I will forgo replacing them. There are two slots for wires, which are missing and 5 b-plates (no a-plate). My plan is to procure an a-plate, 2 wires and 5 "020" aluminum core friction discs for the rebuild. Correct?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Here is a CUSH. ........lm

eBay item number:
<231150474439>

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The parts you mention are not CUSH.
The springs are the early issue which were replaced "WHITE END" and to measure them with the numbers you find is for the early ones as HONDA didn't give measurements after the CUSH was issued.
020 plates are what you need and you may want to look at the area for the A plate (is twice as thick +- as the B plate) and see if the wire will be able to be installed after the A plate is installed. ...lm
garncarz wrote:I have have what appears to be a Cush. The springs are painted blue at the ends and are longer than the minimum length specified in the service manual, so I will forgo replacing them. There are two slots for wires, which are missing and 5 b-plates (no a-plate). My plan is to procure an a-plate, 2 wires and 5 "020" aluminum core friction discs for the rebuild. Correct?

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Post by garncarz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:42 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Here is a CUSH. ........lm

eBay item number:
<231150474439>

Ed: With the exception of the aluminum friction discs and the blue springs, I suppose, that looks like what I have. Maybe it was rebuilt incorrectly at some point in the past? I guess my questions are these, to bring it back to original state, what should be inside and how should it be configured? Thanks for all your help.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

CLUTCH

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:57 am

Here is a CUSH with all the parts. ...........lm

Item number:
<171144919862>

garncarz wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Here is a CUSH. ........lm

eBay item number:
<231150474439>

Ed: With the exception of the aluminum friction discs and the blue springs, I suppose, that looks like what I have. Maybe it was rebuilt incorrectly at some point in the past? I guess my questions are these, to bring it back to original state, what should be inside and how should it be configured? Thanks for all your help.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home