Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steering lock

djohns
honda305.com Member

Steering lock

Post by djohns » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:44 pm

How do you remove the steering stem lock cylinder from the frame of a CA77? I plan on dipping the frame,etc. and don't want to leave the cylinder in place.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:52 pm

If memory serves me correct you have to take the steering stem off and it comes out from the inside along with the spring.

djohns
honda305.com Member

Steering lock revisited

Post by djohns » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 pm

I posted this subject last week in hopes of avoiding "investigative deconstruction" of the steering lock on my 63' Dream. Joeweir1 came across with an input which seemed plausable, but since I already had my stem out his idea didn't float. Thank you anyway for the input! So I scratched my head and took my best shot. It seems the lockset and bolt are installed into the holder before it is welded to the frame. The inside of the holder (the flat topped U) is unpainted so it seems the lockset was installed before frame painting. I removed the lockset and bolt by measuring from the face of the lockset to a pin inside the holder and marking the spot on the top surface of the holder. I drilled through the holder and continued down until the pin I mentioned before was shortened. This freed the lockset and bolt to come out the front. Keep in mind I don't have the NB966 key for this unit. Anybody have one of these Hen's Teeth? With the lockset and bolt out I could see the inside of the holder and how I think it works. Attached is a picture showing the mechanism unassembled. It looks like to lock the steering you insert the key and rotate it counterclockwise a few degrees and push the lockset and bolt in and then rotate the key back to the vertical. Removing the key sets the tumbler pins back so it will not turn until you reinsert the key. I hope to reassemble it by putting the lockset and bolt back in from the front, inserting a new pin where the old one was and welding up the hole in the holder. Now to tackle the high cost of the air filter. I have two old disintigrating filters, don't we all, that I think can be refurbished by stripping the paper and glue out and replacing with the paper out of a late model F150 element. Use Super Goo to reattach to the metal ends. Might just work!
Attachments
LOCK UNASSB.JPG

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Sorry about the misinformation-Now that I see the picutre the spring is what I remember falling out when I pulled the stem out.Also, www.HondaKeys.com has keys.I bought acouple at swap meets from them.Also, a good locksmith can match up the numbers, but probably does not have the blanks and will use a generic blank.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 pm

Sorry I screwed up.Lock is taken out the front.Forgot how simple it was.

djohns
honda305.com Member

Post by djohns » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 am

How right you are. Figured it had to be simpler than my explanation. But remember I didn't have the key. When I went to one of my other bikes, also without a key for the steering, I saw the cover that pivots over the assembly. I said to myself, self I wonder if that is what retains the assembly in? Self said "duh yea". Anyway we all know now how to do it with and without a key. Thats what this forum is about. Exchanging info. Thanks again for the help and interest.

Inty
honda305.com Member

Post by Inty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:16 pm

My CB77 appears to have provisions on the steering for a steering lock. Does anyone out there have a source for the steering lock? Can they be rekeyed to match my existing ignition key?

Cheers!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home