Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

unusual CB77 frame #

Vance
honda305.com Member

unusual CB77 frame #

Post by Vance » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:08 pm

Hi,<br />I just acquired a frame #CB77 107205. It is unusual in a couple of ways, including a different mount for the seat on the rear of the frame and a couple of other differences. Bill Silver's book does not seem to address this frame. If it were CB77E, it would be a '64 according to the reference book (as I understand it).<br /><br />Any ideas on this one? I could upload pics if anyone is interested.<br /><br />I am confused on the differences between CB77's, CB77E's, and CB77F's, etc. Does anyone know how these designations work?<br /><br />Thanks for any help anyone can give.<br /><br />Phil Y

Vance
honda305.com Member

Re: unusual CB77 frame #

Post by Vance » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:35 am

An update:<br /><br />I looked further at Bill Silver's reference book (great material, but the presentation is difficult at times...) and tried to sort through the density of his writing. It seems that he is indicating frame # when he writes &quot;...change at CB77F-xxxxxxx...&quot; in the chassis and frame sections of his reference guide (pp. 7, 8). That confused me, making me think there were CB77F's. I take it that the E stands for engine. DUH!<br /><br />This frame has the narrow, verically flattened seat mounts on the top rear frame tubes that Silver says were superceded in 1962 by the welded, horizontal lugs my other bikes have. This also has a roughly triangular shaped bracket with 3 holes welded to the big curved down tube just over the horizontal sheetmetal &quot;box&quot;. This intrudes somewhat into the empty area just above the rear of the sheet metal top engine cover. None of my other frames have this bracket. <br /><br />Another slight difference is the lack of ribs on two ears hanging down behind the top engine mount brackets (I can't remember what bolts on these ears). My later CB's have the ribs, but my '63 does not (like this frame). This frame is also missing the curved tube muffler mounts, but I think these were cut off, because the tube that runs through the frame is there. All that remains of the mounting tubes are 1/2 inch stubs. <br /><br />I think that this frame is a '61. It would not seem to make sense that this frame is a '64 because of the seat mounts, the lack of ribs, and the extra bracket. I believe that the bracket is the crankcase breather mount of the '61 models. Is this possible? Anyone remember the crankcase breather arrangement? Or have a picture?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Phil Y<br />

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:24 pm

Vance. I would love to pictures of this ! Steve Greer

Vance
honda305.com Member

Post by Vance » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:07 pm

Thanks for your response, KM. <br /><br />Here is a pic of the seat mount. You can see that someone welded on flat steel plates to allow use of a later seat. There are also some extra tabs below the shock mount bolt. You can't see it well in the picture, but there is a safety wire or cotter pin hole drilled in the shock bolt on both sides.<br />Phil Y

Vance
honda305.com Member

Post by Vance » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:10 pm

Here is the extra bracket that I mentioned. It looks a lot like the coil mount bracket. No, it's not where the coils were mounted. The coil mount is in the usual place.

Vance
honda305.com Member

Post by Vance » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:11 pm

And here is the VIN#. Thanks for any ideas you might share...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:20 am

This is a 1964 frame which has many many changes. Why? (race frame?) Who knows but you can bet it isn't anything that Mr. Honda did. Honda used several number codes so CB77E-XXX (E) is for Engine and usually the frame number would be CB77-XXX and sometimes to be certain the reader understands what part is being discussed the writer will show CB77F-XXX to keep clear he isn't discussing (E) engine parts. Why? Cause Honda changed engine things at different numbers than frame numbers. ..........LM<br /><br />Thanks for your response, KM. <br /><br />Here is a pic of the seat mount. You can see that someone welded on flat steel plates to allow use of a later seat. There are also some extra tabs below the shock mount bolt. You can't see it well in the picture, but there is a safety wire or cotter pin hole drilled in the shock bolt on both sides.<br />Phil Y<br />
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home