Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Speedo Drive Disassembly

Kamloopsendo
honda305.com Member

Speedo Drive Disassembly

Post by Kamloopsendo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm trying to disassemble the front wheel speedo drive and am stumped. I have the worm gear idle end bushing out and the circlip that holds the pinion off as well and to me the pinion should simply slide off the shaft allowing the worm gear to slide out the idle end. HOWEVER, I can get the pinion to slide off the shaft and even looking with magnification can't figure out whats holding it in place. I'm simply trying to get it apart to remove the old grease, relube, reassemble and put in a new seal. Any help here would be appreciated.
Alex

PhilD
honda305.com Member

Speedo drive disassembly

Post by PhilD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Kamloopsendo,
The pinion won't come off until the worm gear drive is removed. The dismantling procedure I used is as follows,
remove the small brass grub screw and pull off the brass end cover/bush from the worm drive housing, tap the worm drive shaft through the opening so that it exits via the cable end of the housing being careful to retain the two washers/shims, prise out the oil seal and remove the circlip holding the pinion gear, the pinion and associated washers/shims can then be removed.The seal is 48x34x6.5 which doesn't seem to be readily available but a standard 48x34x7 seal can be used instead. Picture below shows all components laid out. As always assembly is the reverse of disassemly, hope this helps,
Phil D
Attachments
CB77 SpeedoGearbox
CB77 SpeedoGearbox
CB77SpeedoGearbox.JPG (95.87 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
1964 CB72
1964 CB77

PhilD
honda305.com Member

Speedo drive disassembly

Post by PhilD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Sorry Kamloopsendo,
Should have said remove the worm gear by tapping from the cable end so that it exits through the opening where the brass end cap goes, as you will see from the picture there is a shoulder on the worm gear which stops it going out of the cable end.
Phil D
1964 CB72
1964 CB77

Kamloopsendo
honda305.com Member

Speedo Drive Disassembly

Post by Kamloopsendo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks for the response Phil:

I've tried that and in fact went out to the shop tonight to try it again pulled the idle end brass bushing out (Pressed out actually) and tried to push the worm out thru that end of the housing but the rib on the worm shaft that acts to prevent it's removal thru the drive end jams against the pinion. Am I missing something, I must be but can't for the life of me figure it out. I have had everything off that you described but simply can't seem to get the worm to press out through the end I removed the bushing from.
What am I missing??
Alex

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home