Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil chasing up tach cable and out

Laids
honda305.com Member

Oil chasing up tach cable and out

Post by Laids » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am

I have a later CB77 that hasn't had many miles on it the last few years. This year I did a Moto Giro of about 160 miles. I discovered oil chasing up the tach cable to the tach then weeping out back down the cable to drip on the front fender which then was blown back over the bike.
The old cable had a few splits in it so was replaced. The new cable does the same thing.
Does anyone have a definitive diagram other than diagram #15 of the Clymer of what o ring or oil seal goes where, is there some differences in the years with the tach drive etc.?

Laids

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am

There is a seal in the top of the hex nut that screws onto the tach drive housing. Some recent replacement cable assemblies have the seal either not there, the seal is installed backwards, or the seal recess in the nut is too deep, not holding the seal in place against the threaded boss on the housing. The flat face of the seal should face away from the bottom of the nut. A small pick can be used to make sure the smooth portion that captures the seal is not noticeably longer than the seal's thickness. A small washer could be used as a shim above the seal to take up the excess clearance if this is the case. Regards, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home