Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Disassemble speedometer gear assembly

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB72 Brake Greasing

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 pm

My HONDA Parts Books don't show any ZERKS at the Front Brake Panel.
They do show 1 at the Rear Brake Panel and I do have one with the casting for a ZERK but not drilled at the Wheel Bearing Area.
I can't think of finding excessive grease on the contact areas of the shoes or friction area of the wheel hub on any of these bikes I've worked on.
Notice that is the EARLY SPEEDO DRIVE. . ................lm
DJM wrote:Could be either or both of the above plus cost issues too.

Honda made more and more of thee models as the years went by and a few cents saved on each one would have mounted up.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Zerks

Post by DJM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Initially I'd thought that you're right, I didn't believe the front brakes were ever fitted with the grease zerks. However, looking through my early pictures I've found two images showing a grease fitting on the very early single leading shoe brakes found only on the first 1500 or so CB72s and even less CB77s.

Unlike the rear brake panels the front zerks were simply drilled into the end on the brake cam and not cast into the brake panel, typical early Honda enigma.

Real anorak stuff here today!!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Zerks

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Any chance you can share your pics?
Now I'll go look at my SLS panel and see what it has.
Strange non of the 4 parts books I have for the CB72/77 show any Zerks at the front panel. (earliest issue, 26-FEB., 1961)
Which shows the SLS front panel?????????
It does show 4 at the Rear panel. (both Brake Cams and Brake Shoe Anchor Pin, and somewhere on the Brake Panel near the rear brake cam.
The DREAM book does show 2 at the front panel and 1 at the rear??????????? ......................lm
DJM wrote:Initially I'd thought that you're right, I didn't believe the front brakes were ever fitted with the grease zerks. However, looking through my early pictures I've found two images showing a grease fitting on the very early single leading shoe brakes found only on the first 1500 or so CB72s and even less CB77s.

Unlike the rear brake panels the front zerks were simply drilled into the end on the brake cam and not cast into the brake panel, typical early Honda enigma.

Last edited by LOUD MOUSE on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Zerks

Post by G-Man » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm

This one hasn't had the grease nipple fitted at the time of taking the photo.

I think there were variations with the rear brake. Some had the fittings in teh cam spindles, others fitted to the brake plate.

Mine fit to the brake plate.

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Any chance you can share your pics?
Now I'll go look at my SLS panel and see what it has.
Strange non of the 4 parts books I have for the CB72/77 show any Zerks at the front panel. (earliest issue, 26-FEB., 1961)
Which shows the SLS front panel?????????
It does show 4 at the Rear panel. (both Brake Cams and Brake Shoe Anchor Pin, and somewhere on the Brake Panel near the Rear Axle Bearing.
The DREAM book does show 2 at the front panel and 1 at the rear??????????? ......................lm
DJM wrote:Initially I'd thought that you're right, I didn't believe the front brakes were ever fitted with the grease zerks. However, looking through my early pictures I've found two images showing a grease fitting on the very early single leading shoe brakes found only on the first 1500 or so CB72s and even less CB77s.

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:13 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Or maybe found to not be necessary?. ..................lm
Entirely possible.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Strange what one will find if all the parts books are looked at over and over.
The earliest (25/Feb/1961) shows what appears to be Original Parts as issued and NO change in parts numbers for any part.
It covers the CB72/CB72A/CB77/CB77A and no first bike or last bike numbers for the parts.
The last 5 pages show racing parts for SPEED RACE and SCRAMBLES RACE plus EUROPE RACE TYPE Brake and Shifting parts.
It shows the First Issue brake panels and arms and locations and none of the later parts.
Next book is (20/Sept/1965) and covers CB72/CB77/CP77bikes with the front pages for CB72/CB77 and pages 113 to143 for CYP77 bikes and pages 140/141 for the Front Bumper then pages 144 to 159 for Racing Kit followed by the Tools page.
After looking through this book I find at least 5 different front panels and a couple of different rear panels.
Some with Zerks and some without.
OH WELL!. ...................lm

Tim Allman wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Or maybe found to not be necessary?. ..................lm
Entirely possible.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Zerks

Post by DJM » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:04 am

That's just why it's almost impossible to give a 100% definitive answer to just how any of these bikes were put together at the factory fifty years ago.

Seems even bikes with very close engine and frame numbers weren't always identical and minor differences certainly aren't always detailed in the parts book. Fifty years later even the experts can't be sure so restorers beware, or perhaps be prepared to be a bit open minded about what is and isn't correct.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home