Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

ignition

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
CB450guy
honda305.com Member

ignition

Post by CB450guy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:28 pm

Hi Guys been a member for a long time but i think this is ny first post. 1966 CL77 i set static timing as per Loud Mouse looks ok but when i start the engine and put my timing light on it the advance marks are way to far advanced almost 1 inch too far. this will seize the engine right? what can i do thanks Ron

teazer
honda305.com Member

Re: ignition

Post by teazer » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 am

Loud Mouse knows what he is talking about, but I don't know what he said or what you actually did. Timing is usually set at the timing mark and that's about 5 or 10 degrees before TDC. Some people like to set static timing in the fully advanced position and to do that the crank is turned to the full advance mark and the points cam has to be manually rotated to fully advanced. But that's a PIA to do, so most of us set it manually at the retarded point and then fine tune it with a timing light.

How did you set the timing and can you post a picture of where you set it and where the timing light lights up? That might help to identify the issue.

CB450guy
honda305.com Member

Re: ignition

Post by CB450guy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:17 pm

i was only having trouble with the left side timing a little more and i got it right on at full advance it runs great tomorrow doing a 100 mi Moto Giro should be fun thanks Ron

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home