Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Poor idle / No power

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Horse
honda305.com Member

Poor idle / No power

Post by Horse » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:59 am

I recently purchased a '67 CL77 (the bike of my youth). The bike starts on the first kick, but will not idle even after warmed up. It also is lacking power when trying to acclerate. I am not a mechanic, but would like to be able to work on this bike myself. I am thinking that the timing is off. I do not currently have a manual, but plan to purchase one. Does anyone have suggestions on what my problem may be and how to fix it? Also, I see that there is an electronic ignition available for this engine. Do you suggest upgrading to that system if I plan to hold on to this bike?

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Re: Poor idle / No power

Post by Michael Stoic » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:55 pm

Horse wrote:<br />...Does anyone have suggestions on what my problem may be and how to fix it?
<br /><br />Sounds like it could be fuel delivery related. Your carburators should be cleaned, rebuilt and reset to spec; see the &quot;Repair Log&quot; on this site for inspiration and further details.<br /><br />
Horse wrote: Also, I see that there is an electronic ignition available for this engine. Do you suggest upgrading to that system if I plan to hold on to this bike?<br />
<br /><br />Yes. The Electronic ignition solves the only major built in under-design in these motors. See the eIgnition section of honda305.com for a full explanation.

Horse
honda305.com Member

Post by Horse » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks for the response. I &quot;screwed&quot; with the carb settings and only made it worse. Now, I cannot get it started. Another disturbing observation: I can kick it once or twice and then another kick gets no resistance; as if there is no compression. However, if I continue to try to kick, I do get sporadic resistance. It doesn't really feel like the kick start is stripped, but is there anything else I should be concerned about? Per the odometer and the seller, the bike only has 6,100 miles, but it's still 37 years old. I am still waiting for the maintenance records and manuals. Anyone know of any Vintage Honda mechanics in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area?

jesse
honda305.com Member

Post by jesse » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:35 pm

check the compression on both cylinders,first as the bike is now,then squirt a small amount of oil in each cylinder and check again.if the compression increases a lot then your rings need replacing.

FireBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FireBob » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Good call on the ring test, on the carbs check your bowls and see if the floats are stuck or if the valve hole is plugged from debris that might have been set loose by turning the screw. <br /> Best bet is to pull the carbs, take them apart as much as you can, soak them in carb cleaner solvent ($12-15 a gallon with a little basket in the can at large auto parts stores) rebuild them if you have a kit or just blow them out with compressed air and use the parts you have - if they are not damaged. Don't put any rubber parts in the solvent, it will eat it. <br /> Air fuel screw standard setting is 1.5 turns out, fine adjust by looking at plug burn color under load (black turn in, white turn out, tan just right). best way to learn is to just do it, not too hard. Good luck,report back if you can.
FireBob

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:39 am

More immediately, if your carb needles are set too high/low , or the carbs are not sealing against the head- (don't overtighten, you'll warp the carb flange. Buy an o-ring from your local bearing supply house or as a temporary use gasket goo like black permatex). In either of these cases it will only start when choked fully, it will run horribly and not idle. Not sure where they are supposed to be off the top of my head but I would guess middle clip groove. <br /><br />This is an extremely easy thing to check. Just unscrew the carb tops and first make sure the needle retaining clips are holding the needles fully seated inside the slide. Use your fingers to gather up the spring and slide the cable out of its recess... needles and clips should come out without much fuss...<br /><br />careful with those throttle return springs, I had one shoot off into space and disappear forever once!<br /><br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 am

horse- If you pull the plugs and kick or turn engine by hand you should feel some air coming out the plug hole anyway,stick your thumb over the hole..But you should check compression with a gauge.Your kick start pawl could have broken teeth also or have some other issues if your not getting any resistance when kicking. Keep plugging away.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home