Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Troubleshooting No Right Cylinder Fire

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
sstaylor
honda305.com Member

Troubleshooting No Right Cylinder Fire

Post by sstaylor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm

While working on my '68 CB77, I determined that the right cylinder is not firing. Is there any reason that I should not swap spark plug wires (at both ends) from left to right, to eliminate the right side wire as the problem?

Also, any suggestions on a source for replacement spark plug wires. Retrobikes doesn't appear to have any, nor does eBay.

TIA,
Scott

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Did you try switching plugs first and see if you have spark with the plugs hanging out touching the engine while cranking?Fouled plugs can give you fits and it does not take long for a new set to foul if engine is running too rich.I went thru that last year until I learned what was going on.Joe

sstaylor
honda305.com Member

Post by sstaylor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Plugs were fouling and, as I said, the right side wasn't even firing. I decided to swap plug wires, and when I did, it fired up and ran on both cylinders. During the throttle cable swap, I had wiped down the sliders, etc., so it runs much better.

I took it 'round the block, and didn't have any trouble with it bogging down, backfiring, or smoking. I still need to have the carbs adjusted, but I'll take care of that later. Next up is the charging system!

Thanks for your help.
Scott

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:02 pm

cool!!I know sometimes just trimming and inch off the ends will eliminate firing problem.I got wires and ends from a local bike shop for $1.00 a foot.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home