Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Re: honda 305 Dream Spark Plugs

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
fishbone
honda305.com Member

Post by fishbone » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:00 pm

I too have a Honda Dream 305 - simple question. It has been restored - SPring '03, and it was running pretty good for a while, but now we are having tons of problems getting it started. Battery is juiced up, but the spark seems a bit off. Is it possible that we need new plugs? That they have gone bad. I put some spares that we had around in, same result. Not enough...It tries to start. but just doesn't get enough, I think. What is the best Spark plug to put in - I need a part no, like Champion XXXX. Something like that. Thanks.

Lee
honda305.com Member

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:25 am

fishbone wrote:<br />I too have a Honda Dream 305 - simple question. It has been restored - SPring '03, and it was running pretty good for a while, but now we are having tons of problems getting it started. Battery is juiced up, but the spark seems a bit off. Is it possible that we need new plugs? That they have gone bad. I put some spares that we had around in, same result. Not enough...It tries to start. but just doesn't get enough, I think. What is the best Spark plug to put in - I need a part no, like Champion XXXX. Something like that. Thanks.<br />
<br /><br />Use NGK D8-HS; and keep in mind that some cross reference charts are wrong and can cause you to put other plugs in that will burn a hole in a piston.<br /><br />For the Spark Plug gap, as a Honda mechanic in the 60's I recomend setting the spark plug gap for all Hondas with points, as recomended by our Honda rep back then, to 0.018&quot;<br /><br />Here's a story to show the difference in setting the plugs to 0.018&quot; versus &quot;by the book&quot;. A guy had is relatively new CB-450 tuned at a Honda shop, however the only way he could start it was to push it around 10 mph. It would not start with the electric starter or the kick starter. I gaped the plugs at 0.018&quot;, then tapped the starter button and it cranked up immediately. I've run all size Hondas with this gap and have had no loss of power or problems.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home