Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

coils

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
perryT200
honda305.com Member

coils

Post by perryT200 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:33 pm

luckily i know a 70 yr old man with a wonderkin electrical tester. after 50 years as an electrician he knows how to use it also.<br /><br />a dead short somewhere, that kept tripping a 30amp relay instead of burning multiple fuses.<br /><br />my wiring skills are not what they should be. all the stuff that was color coded plugins was fine. but there was a little problem.<br /><br />on the power wire that feeds the coil, it splits at the end. one end is a plug, while the other is an eye to go on the coil. from the plug there is the other end of the plug that goes to the second coil.<br /><br />but i didn't plug it to the coil. i plugged it into the condensor and looped it completely wrong.<br /><br />as everything checked the same, (both coils the same, both condensors the same), i don't think i burnt anything up.<br /><br />so aside from a few hours work, and you all a small chuckle; i have a question.<br /><br />if someone handed you a coil, how could you tell me what post was for the power and what post was for the condensor? i think it is correct, but i would like to be more sure.

jwbert
honda305.com Member

Re: coils

Post by jwbert » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:05 am

Looking face on at the coil with the spark plug wire hole on top or up, post on right (+) I think gets the black split to both power wire and the left post (-) I think gets the yellow or green condensor wire. Green on right, yellow on left.

perryT200
honda305.com Member

Re: coils

Post by perryT200 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:38 pm

the right was wired correctly, well it might have had the wrong condensor wire on it. and wouldn't you know as it is the one on the side of the start button, it is the one everyone uses to check for spark.<br /><br />after breaking the plastic on a coil, and a trip to get another, i believe it is wired correctly. fire on both cylinders, but no pop in them.<br /><br />back to the mech on monday for the new tires and redo the timing.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home