Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

top motor vent hose has oil coming out of it

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
nivek
honda305.com Member

top motor vent hose has oil coming out of it

Post by nivek » Sun May 03, 2009 7:38 pm

I have a CA 77 1964 and the hose that I have connected to the top vent on the motor has some oil coming out of after I ride it, not alot but enough to make it drip. Also I am not receiving any voltage back to the battety, Same voltage at battery when motor is running or not. I guess the stator is bad. How can I check it? Do I have to remove the whole right side engine cover to remove the stator or just the round cover ? Thanks

Greggie-e
honda305.com Member

Post by Greggie-e » Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 am

Hey Nivek,
Oil out of the top hose usually indicates unusually high pressure in the crankcase. There can be many causes to this including cracked rings, worn bore, blown gasket.

To see if there is excessive pressure remove the hose, start the bike and stick your finger over the outlet. If there is pressure there you have an issue. The more pressure the bigger the issue. That breather is just there to let condensate out. There should be no pressure coming from there.

to check the power coming from the stator put your multimeter across the yellow and brown wires that connect to the rectifier (they are that color on mine anyway). the other two wires on the rectifier should be "black to earth" and "red White" to battery. Put the multimeter across these wires (at the rectifier end) to see if the rectifier is working, it should be putting out a touch above 12V

Stator’s rarely “brake” usually they kind of fade away as the magnets lose their effectiveness (in my experience anyway). I would work backwards from the battery with a multimeter making sure that all the wires are connecting properly and that your voltage regulator is still working.
I replace all the old voltage regulators with a solid state one (plenty of topics in the forums about this) and keep the old one in place for looks. The new regulators give 30% more power to the battery apparently.

Do you need a wiring diagram?

Cheers,
Greg
Attachments
Wiring diagram kind of in color (not my own work)
Wiring diagram kind of in color (not my own work)

ffug
honda305.com Member

oil through breather

Post by ffug » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:28 am

I had a similar problem. The 'breather shield plate' which gets sandwiched between gaskets below the top cover is symmetrical except for its drain holes. If this is replaced the wrong way round, oil can collect on top of the plate and the only way out is through the breather. Parts book is not clear on correct installation. Holes in plate should be towards front of engine. Worth checking if pressure is ok. I was using a small jar stashed below the air cleaner to catch the goo that was coming from the breather tube before I dropped the motor.

hotrodhendrix
honda305.com Member

Post by hotrodhendrix » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:23 am

Figure bringing back an old thread would be easier but I see that it says you should not have any pressure from breather. Just wanted to verify as mine is pushing some air out of the breather. Motor was rebuilt but I assume this means something is still not right?

Thanks
James

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 am

Most engines as they run have a small amount of pressure from heat and whirling parts. ...............lm

hotrodhendrix wrote:Figure bringing back an old thread would be easier but I see that it says you should not have any pressure from breather. Just wanted to verify as mine is pushing some air out of the breather. Motor was rebuilt but I assume this means something is still not right?

Thanks
James

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home