Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

nd Ignition switch for 66 cb77

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
sotxbill
honda305.com Member

nd Ignition switch for 66 cb77

Post by sotxbill » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Nothing on ebay. anyone know where to get an good switch and key?? I've got an old cl switch ty-wrapped inplace but its not the best way out.

thanks, Bill
two cl77, three cb77, ca77, ca72, cb160, s65 and cb750

Help Stop Global Whinning

Its considered bad luck to be superstitious.

dkwilfert
honda305.com Member

Post by dkwilfert » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 am

Bill, check out EBay Auction number 250534780872. The pictures of this wiring harness shows an ignition switch along with the other wiring goodies, and the switch will have the key number on it. A lock smith will be able to make keys from that number with the biggest difficulty being the source of blank keys. My local Locksmith was able to get some without my help or my one failing key, but there is a source listed somewhere else on this forum if your Locksmith can't find them.
63 CB77
04 Silverwing

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: nd Ignition switch for 66 cb77

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:27 am

sotxbill wrote:Nothing on ebay. anyone know where to get an good switch and key?? I've got an old cl switch ty-wrapped inplace but its not the best way out.

thanks, Bill
Bill, you didn't bid strong enough on mine, mate!

sotxbill
honda305.com Member

Post by sotxbill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:35 pm

The one on ebay is a scambler although it shows cb77.. It has the telltale ears on it.

Steve, I was asleep at the switch when yours came due.

I am looking at 160 switches and 350 switches..

the cb77 switch has 3 positions..
1st off,

then 2nd, RUN where ig and fuse battery connect, lead from headlight connects to feed taillight,

3rd....park where ignition is off or nc, and tail light connects to fused battery.

interesting there is a lug where the rectifier wire connects to the battery but this contact does not go into the cb77 switch and is just external...

As it looks like one of the switch contacts is no more than a lug where two wires to connect but no internal contacts.. something I noticed from the bad cb77 switch. So with that knowledge, it would appear that other (screw down vrs ears) switches will work fine. The 160 switch has the head light switch build in so it will work with lots of extra contacts and wierd positions.. the 350/450/750 switches are availible new as after market for around 20 bucks and also have the correct contacts and the correct positions,, ie off, on, and park... so I will try to modify one of these by cutting off the round plug and intall some ring connectors and use screw/nuts to connnect the cb harness to the 350 ignition switch. I will have to put some heat shrink on these connections but this will save the harness.

Still looking though... also waiting for a speedometer cable to come in for my ca78 to finish it off.. another nice addition to my collection. the po lost the oring between the carb and spacer, lost the horn button and had bad wire harness connections here and there, but its now in pretty good shape.

the quasi springer frontend give a very strange understeer in corners sometimes, but its a blast to ride. The scambler has the most power and superhawk, well its still a bit underpowered but I've just got it together. Wife is complaining about the 13 tractors.. now there's 5 scooters in the barn at home and two 450s at my work location. Not to mention that I have a mower-conditioner down and a rake that needs a bearing.
two cl77, three cb77, ca77, ca72, cb160, s65 and cb750

Help Stop Global Whinning

Its considered bad luck to be superstitious.

3030vision
honda305.com Member

Post by 3030vision » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 pm

dkwilfert wrote:Bill, check out EBay Auction number 250534780872. The pictures of this wiring harness shows an ignition switch along with the other wiring goodies, and the switch will have the key number on it. A lock smith will be able to make keys from that number with the biggest difficulty being the source of blank keys. My local Locksmith was able to get some without my help or my one failing key, but there is a source listed somewhere else on this forum if your Locksmith can't find them.
Does someone have a source that can make keys based on the ignition switch number? I'm certain I can track down blanks but doubtful that a general locksmith will be able to make a key based on a 50+ year old number.

Thanks!

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 pm

any competent lock shop can make a key for your switch. try to find the oldest shop in your area. they can do it, they will gripe and fuss but it can be done. the hard part is having the correct key blanks--- ebay is your friend here
good luck
Randy
BTW what bike are we talking about? I might have a switch/key

3030vision
honda305.com Member

Post by 3030vision » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:29 am

rrietman wrote:any competent lock shop can make a key for your switch. try to find the oldest shop in your area. they can do it, they will gripe and fuss but it can be done. the hard part is having the correct key blanks--- ebay is your friend here
good luck
Randy
BTW what bike are we talking about? I might have a switch/key
I found a key on eBay that matches the number on my ignition switch, so I'm going to try that. Seems a little too easy, actually.

However, I'd like to replace the metal housing surrounding the key as it's crumbling, so I might be interested in your switch/key. I've got a '64 CB77.

Thanks!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home