Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Timing Questions

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Donovan303
honda305.com Member

Timing Questions

Post by Donovan303 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:14 pm

I thought I may have a a fuel problem with my 305 dream, but I think I'm going back to the timing on this one.

My problem is a lurching in 2nd gear at 3/4 + throttle. At first I thought fuel, but I've since looked at that system and I believe it must be the timing now.

I have done some searching on this forum and performed the following:

1) Cam chain adjustment.
2) Timing set via LM's method.
3) Checking timing with a strobe.

I have a couple questions.

When running there are white sparks across the points contacts but I am not sure how much is normal?

When I check the timing with the strobe and the bike running the "F" is slightly ahead (to the left side) of the mark on the stator. When I move the throttle up the advance marks || are also slightly to the left of the mark on the stator. If those marks are 40 degrees, I'd say they are about 20 degrees to the left of the mark on the stator at 3500+ RPM.

I saw there was mentioning in other threads of these marks being off and it was OK, I just do not know which direction is ahead and which is behind? If the marks are to the left of the stator mark is this advanced?

Thanks,
Christopher

Donovan303
honda305.com Member

Post by Donovan303 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 am

Just an update here. I was doing some searching on this site and found a thread that mentioned 2 different points sizes for the 305 dream.

In that thread there was a pic of a bike with the advance plate turned all the way clockwise and out of adjustment room. It looked like mine.

I pulled mine off and noticed a couple things. 1) There was a burr on the plate caused by a screwdriver at some point that was causing the plate to bind and 2) the plate was indeed all the way one direction and could not be rotated enough to properly set the timing.

I looked at my parts bike and took the points from it and cleaned and used those. I de-burred that plate and it moves freely now. Using the LM method I was able to statically set the timing and have the advance plate back with the notch pretty much in the middle where it should be.

I also noticed I must have a later Dream because I only have 1 set of points.

The bike still would not run, only now there was no spark.

After looking at WAY too much I decided to replace the spark plugs and guess what? That was it.

So now the bike appears to be timed correctly and runs well but I will not be able to further evaluate the 2nd gear lurch until I get some proper mufflers. It only has straight dunstall pipes right now and aside from being way too loud the are supplying zero back pressure.

So far this forum has proved to be a very valuable resource.

Thanks,
Christopher

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 am

Christopher,

Pretty much all of the CA72 and 77s have only one set of points! The CB and CL's have the dual point setup.

Davo

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home