Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Timing Advance sticking

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 pm

He checked with the TL and sees a slow return and I think I know which springs are for the DREAM.How ya doing Mr. Knight? ....................lm
cknight wrote:To make sure the points weights are really returning to their stops at idle, check by using a timing light, confirming your original static setting. If you don't have a timing light, press on the end of the points cam (with the cover removed) with the engine running, to exert some drag. If the idle drops right down to spec, that should confirm the unhappy springs. Be aware that some of the replacement CB advancer springs being sold are actually CA style springs, and will not work properly. Regards, Chase

R100
honda305.com Member

Post by R100 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:36 pm

cknight wrote: Be aware that some of the replacement CB advancer springs being sold are actually CA style springs, and will not work properly. Regards, Chase
Do you know who sells the proper CB77 springs?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

I have a couple left. ......lm
R100 wrote:
cknight wrote: Be aware that some of the replacement CB advancer springs being sold are actually CA style springs, and will not work properly. Regards, Chase

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 pm

It seems like another opportune time to use the good old Timing Light. LOL
If you have a early unit the advancer must come out for repair. Its also a good time check the total. Stops might also be expired.

Tim

R100
honda305.com Member

Post by R100 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:02 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a couple left. ......lm
R100 wrote:
Thanks LM, will keep that in mind.
A ways to go before I can run this thing and get a timing light on it to see what's what with the timing advance.

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Similar question. Is it possible to replace the maximum timing stop (made from rubber?) after removing the top cover, but without removing the camshaft? My motor serial # is cb77e-1005392, which may be a 1965 model.

Is the "stop" an available part? Does anyone have a picture of how it should look in place?

My problem is when I set the correct static timing, the maximum advance is about 10 degrees too much. I have backed if off to be correct at maximum advance to keep the engine safe, but as you can imagine, the off-idle response is pathetic.

Larry

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Advancer rebuild

Post by Tim Miller » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Larry,

Unfortunately the advancer should come out. No stops were available from honda. I machine my on and change the timing curve. It's well worth the effort. It's nice to hear someone using a TIMING LIGHT!

Tim
redblk63 wrote:Similar question. Is it possible to replace the maximum timing stop (made from rubber?) after removing the top cover, but without removing the camshaft? My motor serial # is cb77e-1005392, which may be a 1965 model.

Is the "stop" an available part? Does anyone have a picture of how it should look in place?

My problem is when I set the correct static timing, the maximum advance is about 10 degrees too much. I have backed if off to be correct at maximum advance to keep the engine safe, but as you can imagine, the off-idle response is pathetic.

Larry

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home