Admirers

CL 77 condenser question

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
NN7X
honda305.com Member

CL 77 condenser question

Post by NN7X » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:13 pm

Evening to the forum...
Looking at the ignition condensers on Flee-bay and the prices sellers are asking for nos stuff...
Looking through all my Silver's stuff I don't see an electronic values for the condenser.
Should have a voltage and capacitance value...
I have yet to tear one apart to see what's inside but have taken many old time caps in tube radios and added new stuff to the insides to keep the original look to the chassis.
Wondering if any one had info?

Lee/NN7X

revlover
honda305.com Member

Post by revlover » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:31 am

I've pondered the same thing myself. I'm sure others will chime in with an opposing view, but I don't think the value is that critical. There's probably a formula somewhere that includes the coil current, inductance, and frequency or whatever, but in my experience any auto type condenser should work. They're a lot cheaper if you want to experiment. Let me know what you find out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:57 pm

According to the shop manual the capacitance should be between 0.1 and 0.35 microfarads and maintain an insulating value of >500 megohms with a voltage of 700V over a period of 30 min at 80C. This is probably not very useful information however.

I would be surprised if an automotive capacitor or one from a different bike didn't work but be careful with radio capacitors. You will need a paper capacitor as there is no bias voltage to allow the use of an electrolytic capacitor.

NN7X
honda305.com Member

Condenser

Post by NN7X » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks guy's great info..more research.
Lee/NN7X

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home