Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Pros and cons

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 am

The Sachse site gives the price, which includes 19%tax. Is this for only European countries and is deducted from USA purchases?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:23 am

Yes - that is Value Added Tax (VAT) and should be deducted for nonb EU customers.

G

Dick Eastman wrote:The Sachse site gives the price, which includes 19%tax. Is this for only European countries and is deducted from USA purchases?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 am

G-Man wrote:Yes - that is Value Added Tax (VAT) and should be deducted for nonb EU customers.

G

Thanks, Graham
I just registered with their site, and also found out they add a 2.9% PP fee, and shipping is $37.84 to USA. Total cost is 285.04 + 37.84 + 9.36 PP = $332.24.

Dick Eastman wrote:The Sachse site gives the price, which includes 19%tax. Is this for only European countries and is deducted from USA purchases?

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Price is one thing, technical is another.

Having also the Sachse, idling is perfect, since the timing is taken from the crank, not from the camshaft.

I wish they made this ignition for the 450's since the Sache for the CB450 is timed by the camshaft. Since the cb450 has one of the longest cam chains, I can only image how the bike would run timed from the crank.....
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Brickyard
honda305.com Member

Re: Pros and cons

Post by Brickyard » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:59 am

Not sure about Sachse, but Probe engineering fixed some torn soldered connection for me for free, and threw in some other bits that I didn't ask for, but used since my originals were worn down from messing with timing so frequently.

And they're made in 'merca!

Dick Eastman wrote:What are the pros and cons of the Probe electronic ignition vs the crank-mounted Elektronik Sachse?

aerojack7654
honda305.com Member

Post by aerojack7654 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi guys,
A tale of my electronic points experience...Having installed a Charlie's early unit on my Dream years ago (still working great), I installed a second unit on my SuperHawk shortly after. I didn't install a regulator in either(!) and ran both, ended up selling the Dream to a local guy I ride with (I eventually put a Kohler R/R unit in his bike, all good now!)
I got wind of the Sachse unit here on the forum years ago, and bought one of them because of the programmable advance curves and no springs, something that I had problems with through various adventures with these bikes. I loved that unit until it fried because of my lack of a regulator, and the former Mr. Sachse replaced it shortly before he was killed in a bike accident. He was very kind to replace the unit in spite of my cluelessness (I had replaced the rectifier, but did not realize that that was not a R/R). I reinstalled the Charlies unit (as well as a Kohler R/R) while I waited for the replacement of the Sachse unit, it continued to do it's job until the new Sachse showed up.
Since then I've since bought other Sachse units for other bikes, they are very nice pieces and the ability to not have to use the mechanical advance is a major improvement. The down side is the shipment is relatively slow, but as mentioned the price now is a bargain compared to what I paid over 3 years ago. I haven't tried the probe unit, it sounded good, but since it still uses the springs and the box has to be remotely installed, Charlies unit is an easier install (and cheaper), everything inside the points cover . I will mention that when I bought mine, Charlies didn't provide very good instructions, telling customers to get a "professional installation!" Hopefully the instructions are better now, I just called and was able to get squared away by Charlie himself.
Regardless, any electronic ignition update is a good thing, install and forget (as long as you have a regulator!)

Jack

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home