Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Pros and cons

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Pros and cons

Post by Dick Eastman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:26 pm

What are the pros and cons of the Probe electronic ignition vs the crank-mounted Elektronik Sachse?

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:42 pm

The Probe is a bolt-on unit, with reasonable expense. Still depends on the points cam/weights/springs, providing the stock advance curve. The Sachse crank trigger unit is more expensive and accurate, with a choice of easily programmable advance curves. Also has a tach output signal if you want an electronic tachometer. Slight right side case rework to route the wiring is needed. The Sachse also requires a voltage regulator, as the standard non-regulated rectifier can provide a voltage spike that will be harmful to the unit. Regards, Chase

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:31 pm

cknight wrote:The Sachse crank trigger unit is more expensive
Chase, that all depends on the value of the dollar/euro, and right now it's about the best for the dollar in a long time. Remember we don't pay the VAT here in the states and the advertised 320 euro is 268 euro for us here in the states. That converts to $287 US which is less than the $299 for the Probe. I convert my rectifier with the Kohler regulator conversion and have bought 2 of the Sachse units and have been very happy with them. I had a Probe unit several years ago and it never let me down.

HT

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Hello Tom.
Isn't the New Probe easier to mount over all?. .............lm

Hoosier Tom wrote:
Chase, that all depends on the value of the dollar/euro, and right now it's about the best for the dollar in a long time. Remember we don't pay the VAT here in the states and the advertised 320 euro is 268 euro for us here in the states. That converts to $287 US which is less than the $299 for the Probe. I convert my rectifier with the Kohler regulator conversion and have bought 2 of the Sachse units and have been very happy with them. I had a Probe unit several years ago and it never let me down.

HT

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Totally agree Tom, I had the "pleasure" of obtaining my Sacshe back when exchange rates were not so kind, and the base price (less VAT) was higher. Guess that sticks in my mind. I've also installed Probes on five different CB's with no issues. Good piece, excellent service. Chase

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:10 pm

There is also http://www.charlies-place.com/product-c ... ignitions/ I have it fitted and works well.
Cost a fair bit to have here in the UK but I can not put up with points and all the problems involved with them, electronic ignition fit and forget.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Hoosier Tom wrote:

HT
What did you do with the stock advancer/springs by using the Sachse unit? Any links to the Kohler regulator conversion?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home