Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

No spark on 1

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Steverino
honda305.com Member

No spark on 1

Post by Steverino » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm a little baffled about this spark problem. I've got a good looking spark on number 2 plug, although I'm getting quite a bit of arcing as the number 2 contacts break which would lead me to believe I have a bad condenser.
With the key on and both sets of points wedged open with thick paper my test light lights up on the + and - sides of the number 2 coil. Under the same conditions the + side of the number one coil lights the test light and the - terminal does not. The coils get their power from the same wire. Do I not have the number one coil grounded properly and a bad condenser?
Thanks
Steve
Last edited by Steverino on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Last pic I saw posted I did not see your ground strap that runs from the condenser to the top front engine hanger bolt. Part number 32621-268-020. I don't know if that is contributing to your problem.

HT

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Sparking points can just be dirty or need filing. As far as the number 1 goes, disconnect the wire at the coil for the condenser then see if the test light comes on. If it does you either have a wiring short or bad condenser . You. can test for continuity to ground on the wire as well while its disconnected(with the points still open) to double check.
63 CA78

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Steve - Sounds like you might have a bad coil. Check the primary resistance across the + and - terminals (ignition off). Should be about 3.5-4 Ohms. If it's infinite you need a new coil. I have a good used one if you need it.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Thank You for the Help Guys
HT
I had the ground strap awkwardly secured to one of the rear upper mounts. I have now moved it to the front where it belongs. I made sure to grind away the powercoating. Thank You for catching that.
ImageKIMG0306 by Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
Chuck
Thank You for the instructions on how to check the coil. It checked out okay so I was able to eliminate the coil as the problem.
OldStan
You got me on the right track, testing for ground. On the number 2 side which was functioning properly I noticed when I opened the number 2 points my test light lit up when touching the - terminal of the number 2 coil. When doing the same test on the number one coil the test light would not light up. I figured I wasn't breaking ground when opening the number 1 contact points. I had an inadvertent ground somewhere. I checked the wiring from the coil to the points and it was fine, no broken insulation or bare wire. When I started checking the contact set itself I noticed I had left off one of the fiber washers. The wire terminal was not isolated from the contact point bracket. After assembling the connection properly, magically I have good spark on 1 again. I am really looking forward to reinstalling the tank and starting it up.
Thanks Again
Steve

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 am

Steverino wrote:.... I noticed I had left off one of the fiber washers....
That'll do it!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home