Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Not firing on left cylinder CB72

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Occasionally one set of points may not be properly grounded. Although there is spark, it is so weak that the wet plug will not fire. With the motor running hold a screwdriver tip to the #1 points as they break and listen for any improvement. The solution is then to replace that set of points.

ramwing7
honda305.com Member

Not firing on left cylinder CB72

Post by ramwing7 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Welp. A new coil got the spark back on the left side. Idles like a little sewing machine.

Unfortunately, it still refuses to run smoothly under acceleration. Pops and carries on when it's under acceleration load.

Back to the carb, I guess. Needles are gonna go up and down to see what happens.

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Dennis,

Just curious what the screwdriver tip close to the points does? I mean what is the theory behind it? I, too am having issues with the left cylinder. The first time I had it running (new rebuild), the left cylinder would misfire out of the carb and exhaust when giving it throttle. I rechecked the timing and found the left points opening late. I re-adjusted and re-cleaned the points and now the left side is not firing at all. I can remove the sparkplug wire while it is running with no difference in the idle.

I plan on trying a couple of things like swap the coils. Your idea sounds quick and easy, I just want to understand the reasoning behind it.

Thanks
Paul

OldScrambler wrote:Occasionally one set of points may not be properly grounded. Although there is spark, it is so weak that the wet plug will not fire. With the motor running hold a screwdriver tip to the #1 points as they break and listen for any improvement. The solution is then to replace that set of points.

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Never mind. It was a fuel related problem, left carb wasn't getting fuel. Runs great now!

Paul

Director
honda305.com Member

Post by Director » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Honda Paul - so what did you do to the left carb to make the left side run properly?????
I'm having the same problem.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home