Admirers

67 cl77 Points timing questions

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
bweed2112
honda305.com Member

67 cl77 Points timing questions

Post by bweed2112 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi all,
Looking for a little assistance on setting the points gap and timing on my 1967 cl77.
I've found what the gap needs to be set at, but while trying to set the timing a few things came up.
1) I noticed that neither of the points had an ecentric screw on them. I was able to find 1 on an old point laying around but need another for the left point. Does anyone know where I can find these?

2) where does the gap need to be set on the rotor? I've read this is the highest poi t, but not sure exactly where that would be.

3) I was playing around with it and was noticing the right point would gap at what seemed to be more than just the required time (while stator was at "F") is it supposed to do this?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start digoing into this deeper but figured I'd ask the questions now to get the ball rolling.

Thanks

mike in idaho
honda305.com Member

Post by mike in idaho » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 pm

You don't gap the points at the F marker. Turn the engine until the point gap is widest& set the gap there. The points should just open when the pointer lines up with the F mark.
'65 YG1
'65 CB160
'66 CL160
'66 CL77
'78 XS650
'79 GL1000
'69 T100R
'68 TR6
'69 T120
'72 750 Commando
my company car is a Kenworth

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: 67 cl77 Points timing questions

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:46 pm

On the forum you will find a YELLOW strip to the left.
There you will find FAQ.
Go down about 5 and you will see HOW I TUNE MY ENGINE.
It will answer many questions before you have them.
The answer to your question as to where to set the right points isn't there however MIKE gave you the answer. .............lm

bweed2112 wrote:Hi all,
Looking for a little assistance on setting the points gap and timing on my 1967 cl77.
I've found what the gap needs to be set at, but while trying to set the timing a few things came up.
1) I noticed that neither of the points had an ecentric screw on them. I was able to find 1 on an old point laying around but need another for the left point. Does anyone know where I can find these?

2) where does the gap need to be set on the rotor? I've read this is the highest poi t, but not sure exactly where that would be.

3) I was playing around with it and was noticing the right point would gap at what seemed to be more than just the required time (while stator was at "F") is it supposed to do this?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start digoing into this deeper but figured I'd ask the questions now to get the ball rolling.

Thanks

bweed2112
honda305.com Member

Post by bweed2112 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 am

Thank you for the quick responses.
However I am unable to find the FAQ section that you mention Loudmouse, I'd there a direct link that you can post?

Also what about the ecentric screws for the points? Any ideas where I might find replacements for those?

bweed2112
honda305.com Member

Post by bweed2112 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:42 am

Update: I have found the FAQ.
Note: currently I am only working with the points, no other electrical component is connected (took everything apart to get parts powder coated, so in order to really test I'll need to hook up the wiring harness, batter, ect to be able to use the "light test" mentioned in the FAQ?)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:01 am

My program does require you have a battery.
Don't you have other things to work on then install your electrics and set the points.
I can send you those things.
What is your address. .................lm

bweed2112 wrote:Update: I have found the FAQ.
Note: currently I am only working with the points, no other electrical component is connected (took everything apart to get parts powder coated, so in order to really test I'll need to hook up the wiring harness, batter, ect to be able to use the "light test" mentioned in the FAQ?)

bweed2112
honda305.com Member

Post by bweed2112 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:41 am

Sent you a PM with my address.
There are other things I can be doing, these were just on my to do list so I started looking at it and found I needed assistance.

Trying to get it bench started first so that I don't have to keep taking the motor off the frame. Bikes been sitting for 40 years so want to get it running off the bike then start piecing it back together over the winter

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home