Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Spark in the wrong place and time

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
ramwing7
honda305.com Member

Spark in the wrong place and time

Post by ramwing7 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

I've been using Ed Moore's ignition timing procedure and I gotta say I like it.

But, being me, I'm having some difficulty.

When I get the right hand points adjusted for the light to come on at the T F mark I can't get the left points to set properly. I should mention that the cam plate is adjusted to the extreme counter clockwise position to achieve the timing position for the right points.

In that circumstance I cannot adjust the left points to open on the L F mark. As a result it fires just a bit after TDC on the left side. Not so good a happening.

The marks on the cam shaft end seem to be aligned with the crankshaft at the right times, etc.

New points too.

Anybody have any clues?

Thanks.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:38 pm

If the right side is in time with the points set properly, regardless of where the plate is, set the gap on the left points so the timing is right for the left side. Don't worry about what the gap is on the left points.
63 CA78

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Spark in the wrong place and time

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Looking back at your other messages causes me to ask.
"Have you had the head off.
Where do you live and may I have your phone number. .................lm

ramwing7 wrote:I've been using Ed Moore's ignition timing procedure and I gotta say I like it.

But, being me, I'm having some difficulty.

When I get the right hand points adjusted for the light to come on at the T F mark I can't get the left points to set properly. I should mention that the cam plate is adjusted to the extreme counter clockwise position to achieve the timing position for the right points.

In that circumstance I cannot adjust the left points to open on the L F mark. As a result it fires just a bit after TDC on the left side. Not so good a happening.

The marks on the cam shaft end seem to be aligned with the crankshaft at the right times, etc.

New points too.

Anybody have any clues?

Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home