Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sooty Plugs !

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Tracker
honda305.com Member

Post by Tracker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,

G-Man - The jets and needles are new from a kit from Kevin at Scramble Cycles (I believe these are ok as opposed to the Keyster kits) - Needles in the right place, Floats ok but I haven't strobed the timing! Will do this over the next couple of days if I get the time.

Hahnda - Definitely running on all..er..2! actually same pressure from both mufflers (as tested by the palm of my hand) when running. Actually its not power exactly but the motor just bogs down at anything over say 30 mph, just wont rev. It revs ok when on the bench and there is no load.

Will go over everything again - check, check and check again!

Thanks all
D

ramwing7
honda305.com Member

Sooty Plugs

Post by ramwing7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:52 pm

i have a CL77 doing pretty much the same thing .
Kevin may have a point although I think mine may be idling ok, It's for sure running on one when I'm trying to ride it. The other tries to fire once in a while because it pops and snaps when it hits on that cylinder. I think the carbs are to spec although I confess to Keyster jets (which this forum seems to disparage).
Grounding the plug to the head yields a spark with several different plugs, but I wondering if the coil might not be performing under load.
Advice sought.
Thanks.

ramwing7
honda305.com Member

Sooty Plugs

Post by ramwing7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Forget the coil. It dawned on me that since there are two I could switch them around and figure out if one is not up to snuff. Did that and the same cylinder is missing.
So I'm back to the carb. Gonna take out the Keyster main jet and put the original back in.
Beyond that I'm kinda stymied.
Suggestions sought and welcome.
Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Sooty Plugs

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Add your location to your address and you may find if I call call and help. ...........lm

ramwing7 wrote:Forget the coil. It dawned on me that since there are two I could switch them around and figure out if one is not up to snuff. Did that and the same cylinder is missing.
So I'm back to the carb. Gonna take out the Keyster main jet and put the original back in.
Beyond that I'm kinda stymied.
Suggestions sought and welcome.
Thanks.

Raceman
honda305.com Member

sooty plugs

Post by Raceman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 pm

My 305 Dream ran great but the plugs were always sooty and was evidenced when the bike became hard to start. I lowered the needle one notch and problem solved. I read somewhere that if the bike starts cold without choke, the needle is too high. As John Healy, Britt bike expert says about Amals, it's the needle stupid.

Raceman

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Are you warming up the engine thoroughly before you try and ride it off?

These bikes will not run without SOME choke until they are properly warm, often one to two miles.

During the 'warm up' phase you will need to gradually open the chokes in stages as the engine warms, at each stage the engine will accept a bit more throttle without bogging down.

I have a CL and a CB77 and both are the same in this respect.

The comment that 'if it will start and run from cold with little or no choke then it's too rich' is dead right.

One more thing worth checking is that the float bowl gasket isn't displaced and interfering with free movement of the float.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home