Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starter doesn't turn when mounted?

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Nstephen
honda305.com Member

Starter doesn't turn when mounted?

Post by Nstephen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 am

I have had a 1966 CB77 about a month and just installed a lithium battery. The starter button doesn't turn the starter motor. I tested the starter with jumper cables to battery and it spun. The ignition seems to work good also as well as the headlight and dimmer switch. I am not sure if I should just replace the solenoid to see what happens or the rectifier. Another option maybe is the right side handle bar switch. It seems to be original and many of the parts are hard to find or expensive just to find what happens.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 am

You've tested the starter motor. You just have to test the handlebar button and the solenoid with a meter. When you press the button, does it energise the solenoid? If not, try connecting 12v to the solenoid to see if it provides 12v to the starter.

With a test meter you can track down the fault.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

cadman
honda305.com Member

Starter

Post by cadman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:29 pm

First - Key on and press starter button - Do you hear a click from the starter solenoid? - No ..
Second - the starter solenoid has two small wires attached to it - one is hot and one is ground - jump a ground wire from the battery to the ground wire. No click - jump a hot wire to the hot wire on the solenoid (ground wire still connected). No click - solenoid is not actuating.

If you get a click at either test and the starter does not turn the contacts inside the solenoid are burned or pitted. This can be fixed - you can open up the solenoid and check - there is a round copper washer that contacts two large copper pins - with use the washer and pins get pitted - they can be removed and sanded back to smooth.

Also check and clean the battery cables and solenoid posts.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home