Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Spark Plugs - D6’s vs D8’s

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Spark Plugs - D6’s vs D8’s

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 am

Friends - I was having a discussion with one of my good friends and the subject of spark plugs came up (these are the kinds of intimate, personal things you talk about when you’re good friends). He mentioned that Bill Silver recommended going with D6HA’s instead of the tried and true D8’s. However my friend couldn’t remember if that was strictly a recommendation for CA77’s or for both the CA’s and the CB’s.

Has anyone tried this spark plug swap on a CB? Any advantage? Any disadvantage? Would other elements need to be adjusted in order to run D6’s? Or is it best to leave well enough alone?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Spark plugs

Post by DJM » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:10 am

Given that the original recommendation for the CB models back in the 1960s was a D9H or D10H I'd stick with the D8HA or D8HS both of which seem to work well for most people.

The more modern plugs have a wider heat range than period 1960s items so the D8HA or HS will cope with most conditions. Back in the day Honda dealers were teaching a 'two plug' philosophy suggesting one plug for mostly town work and another for mostly freeway riding. I have a copy of the official Honda bulletin somewhere.

I'm sure Bill's recommendation for the D6's would be specific to the C and CA models and I certainly wouldn't risk running them in either of my bikes, a CB77 and a CL77.

Certainly no advantage to be gained if your bike runs well on the D8s, in fact I'd suggest that if it doesn't something is wrong somewhere else.

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home